Butterfly vs three piece

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by samuellinn, Jan 19, 2017.

1. samuellinn

samuellinn Member

Which type and why what is the actual pros and cons ? Ive had a butterfly get stuck on me because i put it up without drying thats the only problem I've had but i would like to know what other peoples experiences are with the two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax and Carbide Mike like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have many of both. Never had an issue with any of 'em, therefore I see no pros or cons. I don't have a preference.
    There are some who don't like either, but prefer SEs.
    It all comes down to what YOU like.

AGHisBBS, Carbide Mike and RetLEO-07 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Only obvious advantage to butterfly/TTO is speed and relative ease of loading, but the advantage is negligible.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have both...and use both, get a great shave from both. But generally I prefer a 3-piece. No particular reason.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like them both. The 3 piece has the added advantage of being able to use different handles. Can't do that with a butterfly.

6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I also have both. I like my Super Adjustable 109 and my NEW SC. I've not as of yet run into any TTO issues. Proper maintenance should negate any problems.
    @swarden43, see a active thread post. I'll try and refrain for the rest of today. No promises tomorrow though. Boredom does funny things to my brain.:whacky011:

7. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Butterfly/TTO/Twist To Open. To clear up any confusion.
    If your TTO seized up, while put up wet, it was probably because it hadn't been rinsed properly, many times in the past, and there was an accumulation of soap residue that dried up. If you have that problem again, just pour some almost boiling water into a Pyrex container, and add a liberal amount of Dawn or Palmolive, then soak the razor for a couple of hours. It should work after that. Then scrub with a toothbrush.

Carbide Mike and RetLEO-07 like this.
  9. VTHippy

VTHippy New Member

Butterflies are more convenient, especially if I decide to change the blade in the middle of a shave, when my hands are soapy. I have far too many different razors. But as of today (or at least this hour) my favorites are the Star DE 3 piece and the Red Tip SS. For a vey mild razor, I like the 40's SS without notch and the old plastic Clix or Simplex. The later 2 are both 3 piece.. I do find myself gravitating toward TTOs.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. VTHippy

VTHippy New Member

I keep a jar of rubbing alcohol on my razor shelf. A dip and a shake usually get the blade and holder clean of soap scum.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Both are cool to me.

But if i were to travel, i wouldn't want my tto's pressed into a stack of luggage. Small issue, but id be happier with a three piece packed.

I like both.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Not the same, on gunked up razors. A good hot soapy bath will clean deeper than you think. Give it a try, on one of your razors you've used a long while. See what crud comes out. I've tried alcohol on old gunked up razors, it didn't do near as much as the hot soapy water.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have both and like both. I prefer the butterfly only because it is an adjustable, not because of how it opens. I would be just as happy with something like a Rockwell 6S since it is also adjustable.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

My TTOs are adjustable most of the time I keep them on the mild side. My three piece razors are mild to aggressive and I don't use them much. Mainly I like the ease of blade replacement of the TTO without taking the razor apart.maybe I need to revisit my DE89.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I like the convenience of a TTO, but I find that most 3 piece razors have slimmer heads that make it easier to shave around the nose. It's not that much of a difference for me.

17. RetLEO-07

I would. Love my DE89. Was my first DE after I started with a VDH. Paired up with a Shark blade, she gives great shaves.

Jim99 and lightcs1776 like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I prefer 2 and 3 piece razors to TTOs. I just feel that blade is held more securely... but it could just be in my head. I also prefer the slimmer head.

Jim99 likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I prefer the old TTO razors, the ones with the shallower head profile and open comb.

Three-piece razors are more of a hassle for me, though they shave well enough. I probably have and use five TTO/one-piece razors for every three-piece razor I own and use.

If I could get a month's worth of shaves from a single DE blade, I would probably use three-piece razors more often. I always worry about cutting myself when changing the blade, though I've yet to do so.

jtspartan and Jim99 like this.
  20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I really don't prefer one over the other, except my Fatboy which can cover mild to aggressive. They all give great shaves with the right blade and would feel comfortable using any razor on any given day. Guess it's why I like to rotate my razors, just grab what I feel like using on a certain day.

Jim99 and lightcs1776 like this.