Buying vintage DE razors online???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ijustmissedthe50s, Apr 5, 2017.

1. brit

brit in a box

not into bidding either.would nt want to lose something i really like by a dollar or 2 or overpay because someone is jacking the price up.

Col C and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in seeing and finding out about them.

Bama Samurai and Col C like this.
  3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've had good experiences buying and trading through The Shave Den. Also, depending on where you're physically located you might try antique stores.

4. Ijustmissedthe50s

Awesome response, and thanks. I think I actuall understand it lol, which is kind of rare for me. I'll at least be able to check pics and description a lot more now. I want a daily shaver for now, so that advice is helpful. I can see myself getting interested in a fun collection though, so I'll keep learning stuff here. I really enjoy TSD!

Sara-s and brit like this.
  5. Ijustmissedthe50s

OK...Open question...Is a "vintage" de eveready worth considering? Comb, looks like just the top flips up for the blades, but it might come off altogether. From the pics, the comb teeth look aligned and straight, the PCs don't look bent, etc. The handle is cool looking lol! I'd want it to clean up and use it as a daily shaver. Also, just curious, is Eveready the same one as, ya know lol?

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I only know Ever Ready razors as taking single edge blades. DE and SE blades are not interchangeable. I actually love old SE razors more than DE razor's. Ever Ready is a solid choice, but if you're looking for a DE, then it's not for you.

Yes, it's/was the same company that makes the batteries.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Get the best you can *afford*. And if you can afford it, pay what you're willing to pay, even if someone else might think it's too much (is $285 too much for a toggle? My daughter in law thought so, but I though I got a pretty good deal). Be picky, and be patient. I always check the "ending soonest" listings first, then the "newly listed", and have scored some really great razors at (by my standards) a reasonable cost. Last count was 68, I think, so far. I'm getting them to pass on to one of my grandsons, but I'll keep a half-dozen or so (of the best for myself. And so far, I don't feel like i've been burned on any of them. Just know what to look for, and decide your highest price you're willing to pay.
    [​IMG]
    1917 single-ring, 39 bucks.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've bought most of my vintage razors off ebay or in the wild at antique shops. I've found most ebay sellers honest if not completely knowledgeable, which can be good for you. For your part you must do your research and become as familer as possible with the razors you wish to purchase. Take your time and ask ALOT of questions!!
    As for quality vintage are usually made of great material(bronze and brass), are well built and you can find them for low prices sometimes on ebay, most new razors even if the build quality is good the shave head material is often zamac and not as good as vintage. Stainless usually both build and material are wonderful, but be prepared to pay. :)

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  9. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The Gillette Slim that is bought on eBay a week or so ago just arrived along with another package of soaps. Per the discussion above - this is the second vintage razor that I have purchased online. Again it is as it was advertised and in excellent shape. The guy even threw in a couple blades. The razors functions perfectly and shows no wear or scratches. It was very clean on arrival however I always run a vintage razor through the ultrasonic cleaner anyway and disinfect it with alcohol, followed by a bit of mineral oil for lube. So thats two good experiences with these types of purchases.
    Slim.jpg

10. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Yep, Etsy is where I go as well. There are actually some good, reputable vendors on there that sell quality vintage DEs.

mrchick likes this.
  11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

If you want to reduce your risk of getting a bad one, consider posting a Want to Buy add in the marketplace section of this forum. List what you are wanting, and an idea of what you are willing to spend. You will probably have four or five messages with options.

mrchick likes this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Pm sent

13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Sweet! I've got my on a cpl of them on eBay, one single and one double edge. I think I did due diligence on the pics, seller and googling info on them so I could tell if they're I'm good shape. I hope I get a deal like that....Nice score.

nikonNUT, PickledNorthern and Col C like this.
  14. Ijustmissedthe50s

You guys have been great with advice...Thanks to all. And....Wait for it....I just took delivery on my British made Ever Ready se razor with the art deco handle! I picked it from eBay following all the advice, and my wonderful girlfriend got it for my birthday. She also did an amazing surprise of painting a barber pole on an old lamp and topping it off with a large globe bulb. It's awesome with my aftershaves etc, and my new razor. Thanks for all the tips...This one gleems and functions perfectly. I wish I knew how to date it though.

Jim99, AGHisBBS and mrchick like this.
  15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I agree about the amazing girlfriend

16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    The above are all fleamarket finds.
    From the top:
    NEW Short Comb circa 1932-1940 $5
    1952 Super Speed Black Tip $10
    1971 Super Adjustable 109 $1
    1950's GEM Featherweight $2
    If you've got fleamarkets where you are, the stuff is out there. And you can actually pick it up and look at it.
    Good Hunting!

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

18. Ijustmissedthe50s

Just a spin on fleamarket stuff...Gf and I went to one over the weekend and found a pristine Barbacide container even with the basket and handle. It's a blast to have with my shaving items.

Jim99, Col C and RetLEO-07 like this.
  19. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive bought quite a few vintage Gillettes on Ebay. You can find some good ones but the price goes up as the condition goes up.

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's why I use Gixen, an eBay sniping service.
    1. It's free.
    2. It enters my bid in the last few seconds of the auction, eliminating any chance of a "bidding war."
    3. It keeps me from paying any more than I'm willing to pay.

I would say that Gixen has saved me several thousand dollars over the past five years.

As for selling razors, I start the bidding at the minimum price I'm willing to take for it, and add a BIN option at the maximum price I'd like to get...usually $50 more than the bidding starts at. Setting reserve pricing is for stupid sellers. I don't even know why eBay offers that as a service option. For the bidder, it's like throwing darts blindfolded.

Since the stuff I sell is usually extremely rare, well photographed, and with a detailed description, someone jumps on the BIN within a day or two. I've never actually had anything go to the bidding stage.

brit likes this.