Cache of Concoctions (CoC)

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by rick, May 1, 2007.

1. geneaut

geneaut Member

I put small amount of Barbasol Pacific Rush AS in mine. Adds a nice scent and a hint of menthol to the mixture.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Are you referring to the "lotion-y" smell of the CHL ??.......If so, try using less of it and more of the Aloe Gel.

And, if you are prone to irritation, stay away from the fragrance oils completely.
    ESSENTIAL oils are gonna work better for you.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I figured I'd give this a bump as people seem to be on the DIY Bay Rum kick lately, this will give them some other goodies to look over.;)

Queen of Blades and awake2shave like this.
  4. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Good call Ryan, I will have to get around to measuring some of my franken balms so I can add a few to the list

5. rick

Good job, Men......................keep hope alive !!

Queen of Blades likes this.
  6. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Time to bring this back to life.

My wife and I have decided to make our own shea butter based aftershave balm similar to L'occitane and Pre de Provence because between the two of us we use alot and it's getting too expensive.

I'll post our results here;)

Heloguy, Lexicon Devil and Hirsute like this.
  7. rick

Nicely done, Lad

We'll be watching for updates !

youngunn likes this.
  8. GregDR

GregDR Well-Known Member

Only "concoction" I have right now...

Add a couple shakes of Osage Rub into your lather can instantly add a real nice menthol blast to any shave!

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I make my own shave oil:

1 part extra virgin olive oil

1 part caster oil

and a few drops of essential oil

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same recipe I use.

11. SHAVEWIZARD420

I need to get some diff EO. the only ones ive tried are eucalyptus and lavender I mixed them together and it smells pretty good. another thing I do is mix Noxema and after shave to make it smell better and use that as a pre shave

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Where do you get your EOs?
    I've purchased from Brambleberry, some of the better prices I've seen around.

Sara-s likes this.
  13. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Good call on Brambleberry they do seem to have good prices. I would love to know where people get their EO to use at decent prices. Anyone that uses EOs in their mixes please post any other suggestion!

My only concoctions are preshave oil using the same recipe as @SHAVEWIZARD420, with lavender EO because it was already here, and a mentholated WH using cheap unscented WH with drops of M-Bomb and again the lavender EO.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Here's some information from Harper's Universal Recipe Book, published in 1869. The fourth recipe is probably the closest looking one to a modern shaving cream.

"Shaving Cream, No. 1. — White curd soap I lb. spermaceti and almond oil, each 1 oz. Beat with the whites of 2 eggs, add liquor potassa 2 oz., and bitter almond oil to scent.
    Shaving Cream, No. 2.—White wax, spermaceti and alnfbnd oil each 2 dr.; melt; add white soap 4 oz., and beat together with eau de cologne.
    Shaving Cream, No. 3. — Soap 2 oz.; macerate in rectified spirit enough to soften it to a paste ; add liquor potassas £ oz., bittet almond oil 5 - drops, otto of roses 3 drops, oil of lavender 2 drops, eau de cologne J oz., mix.
    Shaving Cream, No. 4. — Almond Cream, — The preparation sold under this title is a potash soft soap of lard. It has a beautiful pearly appearance, and has met with extensive demand as a shaving compound. It is made thus : Clarified lard 7 lbs., potash of lye (containing 26 per cent, of caustic potash) 3| lbs., rectified spirit 3 oz., otto of almonds 2 drams. Melt the lard in a porcelain vessel by a soft water bath, that is, place the porcelain vessel in boiling salt water, then run in the lye very slowly, stirring the whole time. When about half the lye has been stirred in, it begins to curdle. It will soon become so firm that it cannot be stirred. The cream is then finished, but is not pearly. It will, however, assume that appearance by long trituration in a mortar, gradually adding the alcohol, in which has been dissolved the perfume."

15. SHAVEWIZARD420

I get mine from a local health food store. most of them are reasonable but some like sandalwood are expensive almost everywhere.

16. Greg Becker

Greg Becker Member

I posted this elsewhere on TSD in another thread, but think I'll re-post here (where this information belongs).

I had been using Shave Secret shaving oil with a Norelco wet-dry electric in an effort to cut down on the irritation. My first few DE shaves used that, but I decided I could do better. :)

I read a bunch, researched "base" and essential oils, and finally settled on a first effort:

Castor, safflower, and grapeseed oils in equal parts.
    Lavender essential oil to make 1% of the base oil volume. (I like the lavender smell, and it's a good irritant reducer).

Castor oil for the viscosity boost and: http://www.livestrong.com/article/173986-uses-of-castor-oil-on-the-face/
    Safflower oil: http://www.livestrong.com/article/157519-safflower-oil-skin-benefits/
    Grapeseed oil, because it's lower odor than olive oil, and: http://www.livestrong.com/article/255779-what-are-the-benefits-of-using-grape-seed-oil-on-the-face/
    Lavender essential oil for fragrance, and: https://www.organicfacts.net/health...ealth-benefits-of-lavender-essential-oil.html

BTW: Walmart now carries a somewhat limited, but relatively inexpensive, selection of essential oils in the pharmacy section.

I think my first effort will remain the formula. I apply a fair amount after a hot soap wash and rinse, and use that for my WTG pass. Apply a bit more before XTG, then a bit more before ATG. I make sure my razor is wet and there is water on my skin to help the glide. I gently wipe off any excess before the alum block. No irritation, no ingrown hairs, and no issues with weepers or nicks unless I make the noob mistakes of rushing or pressure. Skin is smooth and well-hydrated for the first time since I started shaving, when Dad handed me shaving cream and a two-blade cartridge razor and said, "Try not to get blood on the sink..." ;)

I'm looking forward to trying the brush-and-bowl experience, but I am VERY satisfied with the shaves I'm getting with just the oil prep.