Cadet 27 OC

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dapper-in-a-can-man, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Alright guys, my Cadet razor broke almost 3 years ago and I was thinking on it and I want a new open comb razor or another cadet razor. I started looking and noticed cadet is pretty much done. Where should I look or what would be an optimal replacement?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

2. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I haven't used either, but I think Pearl and Cadet are supposed to be similar. Another option is a Gellette NEW short comb or long comb if you don't mind going the vintage route. They should be about the same price range as your Cadet was.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I second the call for a Gillette NEW, SC or LC. They are less aggressive than the Pearl I believe, but they are great shavers.
    I always like to show mine off. It is a short comb that I had replated in bright nickel.

100_1951b.jpg

AGHisBBS, George X, PanChango and 2 others like this.
  4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Cadet was just a rebranded Pearl. I actually find Pearl OC to be more smooth than NEW LC. Both Pearl OC and NEW LC are nice razors thou.

5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have to put another plug in for the Pearl. I haven't tried the Gillette, but I like my pearl. It is both efficient and a little harsh at times but I found that when used a steeper angle a good deal of the harshness went away. (My $.02.)

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That is called "riding the cap," and it will tame most aggressive razors.

Bama Samurai and MR41 like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I didn't know it had a name Thanks for telling me!

Bama Samurai and Jayaruh like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you want another TTO open comb, your choices are limited for now. The Pearl OC is the only modern version.

Vintage, you have the Gillette Sheraton and Senator, or the British Aristocrat One-Piece Razor/#15 or the American 1934 Aristocrat. All of those are fairly rare, which usually means rather expensive. I happen to prefer TTO open comb razors, which is why I have all those vintage razors listed above. The #15 is far and away my favorite.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Always learning. That is how I tamed the Old Type Gillettes.

10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    The Gillette Sheraton is a very nice shaver. It is hard to find, but it is well worth having.
    Sheraton_16.JPG Sheraton_21.JPG

George X likes this.
  11. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I have a Sheraton but I want something new haha

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I used a Pearl OC a while back that belonged to a friend, even tho I got good shaves from it, I would go for a Gillette New, either short or long comb. I get much more smoother shaves from them as opposed to the Pearl. And they can be bought for the same or better price than a Pearl. Just my opinion, plus I think they look better.

Jayaruh likes this.
  13. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I've heard nothing but great things about the RazoRock Jaws !!!