Cadet razor head broke this morning

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hayter, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

So I bought a Cadet razor in January this year, and the razor head screw snapped off as I was screwing the handle on after changing the blade.

Does anyone know a replacement shaver head that will fit on it, so I can get back to using my cadet razor? atleast the handle anyways. lol

Is there a web site that sells replacement parts?

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Most other 3 piece razor heads(Gillette,Weber,ATT,Tradere,iKon,EJ,Muhle,Merkur,FaTip,Parker,Sabi etc) should fit your "Cadet" handle..I think yours is the first "Cadet" shave head I've heard of snapping, although I did read of a EJ89 head snapping after being dropped...I guess thats the difference between using all brass vintage Gillette or Stainless and "pot medal"(zamak etc.)....Sorry to hear about yours snapping...

Just a FYI while I've never had any trouble with my EJ89 in probably over two years of daily use, I believe it's head and at least some if not all of the other heads are made of "pot medal" also..In fact I believe unless the ad states "made of brass or stainless" for any partucular safety razor, you can assume most modern and some vintage 3 piece safety razor heads are made of "pot medal"...I don't believe it's ment as any kind of rip-off, it's just how they keep the prices down(cheap labor and materials)..So basically your choice is pay more for better materials(brass/stainless) and workmanship or buy spare heads for your favorite "pot medal" razor..":)

Another FYI, I just tried fitting a vintage Gillette "Old Style" OC cap, Parker solid bar cap and EJ89 cap on my "Cadet" OC guard and all of them fit and screwed down tight, but I can't speak to how it will shave.. Tomorrow morning I'm going to shave with the Cadet OC guard and the EJ89 cap combo mated to a Sabi T2 handle....:shaver

fram773 likes this.
  3. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

Unfortunately i don't see the option to buy extra heads for the cadet razor. *sigh* i just ordered a new razor, and I am waiting to hear back from shaveabuck.com about the issue. I seriously doubt there is any kind of warranty on these things. lol

I will just eventually buy a stainless razor soon. I was unaware of the pot metal manufacturing, but it makes sense.

I will post pictures of the broken piece later tonight if i can.

4. 178-bplatoon

It is my understanding that EJ will replace the heads if they snap..I've dealt with Joe at "shaveabuck" and he seems a decent vendor, so he may well replace the head, you should ask him...You might also want to check out ebay for a vintage 3 piece Gillette...

If you decide to go stainless make sure you check out the Webers, they have the best prices I've seen for stainless razors...I have a polished SS head Weber and find it shaves very comparably to my EJ89 and if you can find a used Weber DLC coated head "BUY IT"...:happy088:

5. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

PM sent -'I have a head for you if your Cadet was open comb...

Raven312 likes this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

Tried out my Cadet OC guard with the EJ89 cap this morning...Worked perfectly I'm happy to say....:happy088:

7. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

I have sent him a message the other day and have not heard back from him yet. So far I am taking the silence from him at shave a buck as I am SOL. lol

8. 178-bplatoon

Give him a chance..Did you email him through your email or through his site? Emailing through the site doesn't always work well apparently it's occasionally glitchy...I missed out on a deal by emailing through the site and thinking he was just uninterested..Email him using your email it's certainly worth a try....Like I said he seemed like a square vendor when I emailed him...At any rate it seem like Gillette "Old Style" and other 3 piece caps will work with your Cadet OC guard. Check out ebay using the price for a new Cadet as a cost guide for pricing a Gillette "Old Style" 3 piece, just make sure the cap is the same as the Cadet's so it will interchange with the Cadet OC guard...If your ready to step up in material check out Weber Razors you can get a SS razor with either BullDog or Classic handle for around $70 plus shipping. Worth looking into, since the cap will fit either guard, you'll have both an OC head and a Solid Bar head and another handle...I started using a polished SS Weber cap with my Cadet OC guard today and so far at least it's working GREAT!!:)

Hayter likes this.
  9. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

I sent him an email through his site. So I will email him through my email address now then. I will be upgrading to a better SS razor when i get a chance though.

10. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

That has happened to me with a merkur i had. pot metal.

11. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

I sent in a email to shave buck using my gmail instead of their site like i did. So we shall see of i get a response. Its ok though. no big deal. I will certainly be looking into buying a much better quality razor when money permits.

12. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Sorry for your problem.
    Just for the record: i bough a DE from a German store the www.Korium.de, the head screw was defective
    I send him an email with a photo and after some days i received an answering email that he send me a new one no charge at all
    He paid the shipping and refuse to take any money from me !

About your screw: Don't try to glue it
    I don't think will last
    I have tried in the past and didn't worked.

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Sorry for your lost :sick013:

14. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

Meh, it happens. I personally was unaware of the "pot metal" that the shavers were made out of. It makes me understand the price difference with a lot of the razors. Looks like I will be buying a much higher quality razor soon, and going forward will have lower expectations of the razors from now on. LOL.

15. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

OH, sorry for the double post, but its worth it. Here are the pictures I said I would take.

10804774926_6122b94b7b.jpg

10804777505_dbc3809ccc.jpg

16. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

You could drill the hole all the way through the cap. Find a screw with the same thread pattern and length. It should work for a while anyway. Won't be pretty though.

17. 178-bplatoon

I think most people who are new to "traditional" shaving are unaware the material differences between vintage all brass/copper razors and modern "pot metal" razors or how important that difference actually is..Like many "nubies" when I first started I didn't understand or appreciate the appeal of vintage "all brass" Gillettes over the brand new models(EJ,Merkur,Muhle etc.)..After all they all looked the same chrome and shiney..Now that I understand the difference it makes me really appreciate the quality of the vintage stuff so much more and how good a deal it can be..I mean an American made all brass/copper Gillette 3 piece tech(either Fat handle or Ball end) for under say $20 shipped is actually a "STEAL" and I try to buy them whenever I can afford them...:) You really need to get to the stainless steel level for the same quality of material and workmanship...:)

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

SOLUNA Czech Gun Metal safety razor
    (GR patent)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This worked for me

http://ksyrisma-shaving.blogspot.gr/2011/11/de-safety-razors.html

I believe the photos in the above link will help.

19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Like b-platoon says, the vintage Gillettes rock...if you can't afford a SS razor now, why don't you cop a vintage Gillette?? I mean....I'd rather have one anyway...;) and soo many styles to pick from...My Senator Open Comb TTO is smokin'....:git:
    and those 100 year old Gillette Single Rings will last forever....

20. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

I will have to do this. Thank you