Can Anyone Identify/Value this razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lothar101, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Is it possible this is a Ranger Super Speed? It appears to be a W-4 date code sorta hard to see through the plastic.I can't find any info on a Black handled Ranger being made in 1977 was wondering about rarity or should I open and use it :) Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

4. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Sorry was slow on picture upload had to edit post...lol

alpla444 likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hello Lothar,

I have never seen it called that before, but what you have there is basically the last version of the Super Speed produced by Gillette before they started their slide into multiblade units. The classic - nay, legendary - 1941 Ranger Tech twist to open (pre-Super Speed), it is not. Welcome to the Den.

6. Mark1966

It looks like a Gillette black handled super speed - but may be a clone ?

7. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

It says distributed by The Gillette Company.Could it still be a clone? Any real reason to keep it sealed?

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Q4 1976 Black Handled SuperSpeed. :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just an opinion: the razor itself isn't worth much at all, as they're still very, very common and not particularly desirable among wetshavers. However, the packaging is (to me, anyway) unique. Someone like Jody can give you a firm idea how rare it is or isn't.

PS Of all the Gillettes someone might clone, that would be about the last one I can see any point of cloning. I don't doubt it's for real.

10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Mr Razors got different images of the 1976 super speed in different packaging, similar to the packaging for yours, but just called different things.

11. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Lol...sounds like it was still worth the $6 I paid for it though. Just getting into wet shaving and also bought a very nice (to me) I-3 Superspeed (My birth year and quarter) for $20. I plan to start using it for my daily shaving.

12. Mark1966

OK, couldn't see that.

So it is a Black handled Super Speed "NOS" - not sure why it is called Ranger.

These are not uncommon so it you wanted to keep it sealed there would be lots of others to buy.

Seems odd that the blades don't seem marked either. New one to me

13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I hate to make decisions long distance. But...
    A few months ago I got taken on a Russian Gillette knock off. Should have know... Didn't pay that much for it. When I emailed the guy he pointed out that somewhere he said "like" in the write up... But said that I did really low ball him on the price I paid... So I keep it as a lesson. He was right; the razor was worth what I paid. I had gotten greedy!.