Can be dangerous...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by InfernoOrangeSS, Jul 28, 2012.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Of every razor I've ever handled, not once have I come across my birth year razor. Not that I really want one, but I think I've come across every single year apart from it.

I take that back...I recall the one time I came by a '68. It was a Knack. Mildly disappointing.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

68, 68, now what do I have in a 68...

Hmmm, just checked my list, I think I have about every year BUT 1968 (N date code) I wonder if they made any in 1968????

3. Mark1966

What if you bid knowing that you can use your credit card with PayPal?

Not that this ever happened to me of course, just asking for a friend :innocent

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

See what I mean? For some reason they don't seem to surface often. Ah well, say lah vee as the German's say.

5. Mark1966

Hmmm, a challenge now....

6. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

there are several 1968 Gillette razors on ebay at the moment including a couple of Slims.

7. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I just recently decided to try some vintage Gillettes. I may now be on eBay's Christmas card list. :p

8. zimmer

zimmer Member

When I re-discovered DE shaving, I did acquire a number of different Gillettes, one Merkur, two Schicks and on Gem. Since I'd grown up shaving with DE's the rediscovery wasn't that significant (I still had a Fatboy and Red Tip from my youth in the sixties) but it was fun to try some older razors from the early 1900s to compare the differences. I now have settled in to using my Red Tip for most days, my Slant bar on some days, and the very old, combed razors on rare occasions. It is fun to know that my 1905 Single Ring shaves just as well as today's triple and forple blade plastic razors.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There's a reason I don't use my credit card for anything but travel and emergencies.;) Lessons learned young and all that...

10. InfernoOrangeSS

InfernoOrangeSS New Member

You guys were so right. My mania changed from DE Gillettes to soaps to creams to ER brushes (restored) to now ER SE razors.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Some of us outgrow the need to collect/horde shaving stuff, others just find other hobbies to dump disposable income into. I was proud of myself for having not spent anything on shaving stuff in 3 weeks. Until I realized it was because I was behind in my bills. :(

12. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

What a good idea! A collection based on what people were using during the year of their birth. You could include the year of your wife/girlfriends birth; the year of each childs birth; the year of your parents birth. Oh yeah, I like this a lot. Of course I'm a history nut, too. You could see history, technology change before your eyes in a context that relates to your passion (of shaving, not loved ones:ashamed001:) . Good idea, for me, anyway.

Mark1966 likes this.