can I sharpen my straight razor on a sharpening stone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by sunny, Dec 30, 2016.

1. sunny

sunny New Member

can I use a sharpening stone on my straight razor

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Most sharpening stones are designed for knives or bladed tools—and are generally too coarse for straight razors.
    many start at 200 to 300 grit whereas most SRs will begin to require around 1000 grit (and up) just to set a bevel; and up to 8000 to be considered 'shave-ready.'

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. sunny

sunny New Member

where can I get a good priced one?

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Amazon has a number of 1000k stones from King and Naniwa. These are ideal for setting the bevel, but one needs more to sharpen the edge towards making it shave worthy.
    some combo stones (1k-3k) are helpful in getting started. Buying hones/stones can get pricey as one needs 2-4 stones.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Here's a good read about a basic starter hone.

Click me!

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Billyfergie, Spyder and RyX like this.
  7. Eiklj

Eiklj Member

Really good information there. Thanks. I'm looking to get into SR shaving soon.

Billyfergie, Spyder and RyX like this.
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Welcome to the den! Good information above. There are also a lot of people who can hone a straight for you and get it shave ready. Then all you need is a strop to get shaving. It's a good way to figure out if this type of shaving is something you want to do, and pour money into hones.

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome, it is a very rewarding process. But it requires commitment and patients. I'd like to say, its not easy. But thats not entirely true, it just takes time to learn.
    Research helps, but initially an expenditure of money and time are required.
    Good luck, and welcome.

Jim99, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

[​IMG]

Jim99, Billyfergie, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  11. Eiklj

Eiklj Member

Right now I'm just reading as much as I can.
    Oh, and Happy New Year! all!
    Probably my last post of 2016.
    I'm getting ready to go to a party.

Spyder, Billyfergie, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Probably the Best thing to Do for a New Person Getting into SRs is Learn to Shave & Strop..That's It..That's Enough to Take on Board..All You Need is a Shave Ready SR & Strop...Learning to Hone is a Later Step..A Complete Set of Naniwa Synthetic Super Stones is Not that Expensive in My Books for a Honing System that is Super Consistent & Offers the Finest of Edges..They are a Steal..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Spyder, Jim99, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great advice. But, I didn't listen to anyone here when I was told the same thing. I just jumped in with both feet, and taught myself to hone, with a lot of advice from fellow members. For me, it was the challenge of doing something very few people do anymore. I'm the kind of person who will dig my heals in, and try harder, the more someone suggests I shouldn't do something that is too difficult.
    But, the prudent thing to do would be to get a professionally sharpened razor, and see if you enjoy straight shaving. Then, if you do enjoy it, gather more razors, if you like doing that, and learn to hone them. You can compare your honing skills with the professionally sharpened razor.

Waate, Keithmax, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  14. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I am also one of those looking to get started in straight shaving. I recently ordered this 3000/8000 hone from Amazon with the hopes of using some poorly scaled razors as practice. Is a 3000 stone too mild to set a bevel or should I pick up a 1K stone for that? I know I also need a strop eventually but I have many razors and knives I can practice sharpening on until I get a good strop.

15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I just looked at it and the reviews sound good. I bought a similar one last year and it looks like it could be the same one. I think this is a generic combination stone that goes under several names.

If your straight needs the bevel set, you're going to spend a lot of time on the 3k side. A 1k gets you where you need to be much faster. On the other hand, it will work fine for a simple refresh and it gets you into honing at a rock bottom price. I used my 3k/8k and a Cnat 12-15k for almost a year and that provided me with a reasonable edge on my SRs.

16. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Thanks I will look for a 1K stone too. Maybe a poor mans strop from WD as well.

Drygulch, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Am I wrong here: If a razor is dull, I'm thinking that the bevel should not have to be reset? Even old razors that have been used , should have a bevel. Are a lot of guys re-setting bevels that actually don't need to go through re- setting???

Drygulch and Jim99 like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If the bevel is in decent shape, then YES— a simple touch-up will get you up and going! The majority of 'old' razors I've come across whether in antique stores, garage sales or online auctions, have poor edge conditions— flattened, uneven, misaligned, chipped, rusted, cracked—and ALL benefit from establishing a clean, fresh bevel.

gssixgun, Spyder and Jim99 like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That is certainly possible, and if it were my razor and I had already set the bevel, I wouldn't go back to the 1k unless I had damaged the blade. If I purchased a razor that were truly shave ready, the the 3k/8k combo should be all I need. I guess it all depends on the source and condition of the razor and what future razors Misphit may buy.

Spyder and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

A strop is also used after the honing to get the edge keen. It's then used to maintain the edge between honing. If you could only get one thing to start, I would get s strop before stones.