Can you change the direction of your hair growth by shaving against the grain?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by 7055, Aug 2, 2014.

1. 7055

7055 Active Member

I was at The Art of Shaving today and I was told that by shaving against the grain it can mess up the direction of hair growth. She also said that using an electric razor can cause the hairs to grow in different directions and you want to avoid this. Is this true?

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

No. You can't 'train' your hair by shaving it or combing it a certain way. Electric razors also do not have any effect on it. She was either stupid or lying.

Omelmad and J_Man like this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    We do try to train it!

Stubbl E and GDCarrington like this.
  5. 7055

7055 Active Member

That's weird, she said that when you're young most people have all the hair growing in one direction and as you age it changes.

6. Mr. Shaverman

No, not weird at all. She's either stupid or lying. That's kind of common. ;)

Our hair can change a bit as we age, but there are actual genetic factors at play there that have nothing to do with shaving or anything else.

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

No if that were the case guys would never need moustache wax cause they could train their handlebars to always do the same thing ;)

8. Mr. Shaverman

I think that may be more wishful thinking than training. lol

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I've been shaving against the grain for 20 some odd years and my growth pattern has not been altered one bit. I would say she was not very well informed on the subject.

markjnewcomb and GDCarrington like this.
  10. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

22 years old. This isn't gonna change. :( [​IMG]

Matt0210, GDCarrington and Omelmad like this.
  11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

The only thing that changes is you either go gray or white and you possibly lose your hair. Guess which one happened to me first? I will give you one hint - I am only 30. ;)

12. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

The pattern of your beard growth may very well change over years, absolutely, but it's just time and nothing to do with your shaving habits or tools. Nothing at all. I suspect this sort of "advice" falls under the general Caveat emptor of retail sales. As well as Chuck D's Don't believe the Hype! :innocent

God Bless Bobby Charlton!

[​IMG]

13. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

If we would alter the direction of the growth then everyone's beard would grown downwards. It would be so much easier to shave =P

If I shave downward on my left cheek I will s doing a WTG pass, and if I shave downward on my right cheek I would be doing an XTG pass. It has been growing this way since I remember getting facial hair =)

J_Man and GDCarrington like this.
  14. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I most likely would not return to this store...what a bunch of bull manure. :happy097:

Ed

Billyfergie, BigT and GDCarrington like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The problem with idiots is that they don't know they're idiots.

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Luckily, for the OP, we do.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I had (have) a horrible cowlick when I was a kid. Combing my hair HARD against it and plastering it down with gel never changed the direction the follicles pointed. Only encroaching baldness can do that, by killing them off.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    J_Man, GDCarrington and markjnewcomb like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Dunning-Kruger Effect's definition should be modified slightly to account for ignorant people who, when offered provably sound correction or instruction, refuse to accept it. At that point, they've left the realm of mere Ignorance and have bought a condo in the kingdom of Stupid.

J_Man, GDCarrington, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  19. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

And trimming your finger nails too often will make your fingers grow longer. Total nonsense! I don't know who "she" is but "she" needs to stop telling lies.

GDCarrington and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  20. Mr. Shaverman

She needs to check herself before she wrecks herself.

Adonis, J_Man and GDCarrington like this.