Can you tell me which are the expensive soaps (> $30)?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Jun 13, 2017.

1. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Bvlgari Man in Black is around $30 for the refill puck and certainly more with the dish, which I think is only bundled in a gift set.

I know you said no rare & vintage but Houbigant Fougere Royale which is both rare and vintage goes for about $150 a puck whenever it pops up.

2. Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer Member

:(better do more than give me a great shave !!

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm trying not to be a killjoy, but why actively seek soaps that are extravagant in price without any more bounce for your ounce. Shave soap is to bring a gliding surface to your face, aiding against harm from the razor and this is done through its rich lather. The pleasurous scents one experiences during the shave, lingering in the room and about, is only icing on the cake.

Is it just to try things you have never tried before or looking for the very best in soap. I'm merely curious that you looking by price and not by performance.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    BigMark83 likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Majority of that price is the dish. $30-35 for the 90g puck.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I cant speak for the OP, but I know there are plenty of high-priced shaving items available today that MAY or MAY not perform any better than less pricey products, yet carry a high price tag.
    Is a $400 rare manchurian brush going to apply lather THAT much better than the $29 boar brush? End result is pretty much the same—lather spread about your face.
    I've used a $1200 custom SR that game me some great shaves, but not significantly better than a restored old $35 Sheffield.
    I'm sure those $200 stainless DE razors are slick, but do they shave better than that Tech you got off ebay for $20.
    Yet we still seek these items out.
    If someone wants to know what the costliest soaps are—regardless of performance, I'm interested to know as well.

jtspartan and Enrico like this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Sorry, my autocorrect was going crazy.

7. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I don't know the OP's mind, but it could just be curiosity. Soaps over, say, $50 for a puck (sans dish, bowl, etc) are at that price point for one simple reason: someone is willing to pay for it. I find it interesting to see what people are willing to pay for a puck of soap.

RyX likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You're paying for the aluminum container. The soap is about $35 and, IMO, well worth the price tag.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry, but $115 for a bowl, aluminum at that, is far beyond me.

Primotenore and Enrico like this.
  10. Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer Member

Agreed.. sure look good tho

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I suppose $1,000,000 for an old egg is out of the question as well...:D

faberge.jpg

Enrico likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Deja vu!

Primotenore and Enrico like this.
  13. Primotenore

Article Team
    You were quicker on the draw Kevin. :)

14. Primotenore

Article Team
    +1

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Don't get me wrong. If that $115 was for a silver bowl that was proven to be used by Teddy Roosevelt... Still out of my league but at a price that I can better understand.

Enrico likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I guess this was pretty important to the OP since they haven't been on this thread for three and half months.

I put this way ... I'd grow a beard before I pay much more than $3 an ounce on shaving soap. Ingredients play a greater role; then price and performance are behind that.

17. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

You can't be telling people about Klar. No one has a right to a shave this good. Every use you should have to pay a luxury tax. Not everyone has such privilege. Secrets of this elite product must be kept.

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Now you have me intrigued.

RyX likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

+1

20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It is pretty good, isn't it...............

Tim Spencer and RyX like this.