Cannot stop the cuts

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Arvan, May 7, 2014.

1. Arvan

Arvan New Member

Hey Everyone,

So I am having an issue avoiding cuts along a very specific part of my neck. As you can see in the picture, there is a patch of skin, roughly an inch or two in diameter that when I shave, it all gets torn up and bleeds pretty decently.

20140507_165943_resized.jpg

Now, I started shaving not too long ago and still am far from mastering the art, however I have not have any other spots on my face or neck where this happens. I sometimes gets little nicks but rarely twice in the same spot or of the same size and extent as this section of my neck. This happens EVERYTIME I shave.

I have tried shaving in different direction, extra soap, right hand, left hand, loose skin, taunt skin and nothing seems to help.

Do any of your smooth faced gentlemen have any ideas why this could be happening? I really appreciate any and all hekp in this matter :)

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Necks are notoriously difficult.... pay close attention to your blade angle, it's tricky to get it just right on the neck and use small, short strokes. Also, if taut skin isn't working for you, try the reverse... the bull frog procedure.... chin down-ish and puff out your neck like a bull frog.

Good luck!

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Williams Warrior and Bristle Me like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Same spot I get irritation, if I get it anywhere. It's because that's the one place on the neck, mine anyway, where (a) the hairs grow almost straight out in the direction of the sides of the neck and (b) the hair follicles are more pronounced there than anywhere else. More (b) than (a), I think.

The only thing I've found to help is either going completely ATG - but lightly! - with the skin very tight, or gently buffing the area with a multiblade razor, which does not cause irritation like a DE or SE can but gets the area as BBS as the rest.

JoeB likes this.
  4. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Yep, me neck is very sensitive just to the left of the Adams Apple.
    This area must be shaved very slowly, with only slight stretching of the skin. (I just tilt my head back a bit)
    The first pass is straight down, with just enough pressure on the razor to keep it in contact with the skin.
    The second pass is somewhat across the grain, again with only enough pressure on the razor to keep it in
    contact with the skin.

If you are brand new to DE razor, you need to know that it's going to take some time for your face to become
    accustomed to this new shaving system. In other words, your neck will toughen up. Just remember, go slow,
    and only use enough pressure to ensure that the razor stays in contact with your skin.

Oh yeah, I about forgot....

Welcome to The Shave Den!! :signs046:

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I have a tough spot in the same place. My whiskers swirl there so any way I go is ATG somewhere. A really light touch with some skin stretching seems to do the trick but if I use any pressure there, I've got red bumps.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Arvan, some more information would help. What razor & blade are you using? What pre-shave prep do you do? Also, how many passes do you do on your neck?

7. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

No pressure and a really good lather. If your using shave soap try switching to cream. Let the cream/soap sit on your skin for a minimum of 5 minutes before you start shaving. You could also try a pre-shave oil to help with lubrication. Just lightly go over your neck and avoid going against the grain. Make sure your skin is stretched tight but not too tight.
    I had a problem with my neck when I used to DE shave a few years ago. My problem was I would use too much pressure and would rush the process.

Good luck and keep usupdated.

8. Arvan

Arvan New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will give it a go and try the different techniques you all offered.

Quick question, but what do ATG and BBS stand for?

9. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

BBS=Baby Butt Smooth
    ATG+ Against the Grain

Arvan likes this.
  10. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

A suggestion that has helped me in shaving the neck around the Adam's Apple is the 'swallow and hold' technique. Swallow and don't release, so that your Adam's Apple doesn't bob back up, and the result is a smoother terrain over which to drag the sharp bit of metal we call a blade. It takes a little getting used to, holding the swallow while tilting your head up, but it works for me.

JoeB likes this.
  11. Arvan

Arvan New Member

I have tried that Jasman but to no avail :( Maybe I just need a few more months experience or an adjustment to my technique.

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Different blade? too much pressure?

Also go only with the grain for now.

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I had neck issues when I started too, and sometimes still do. For now I'd suggest doing your face as you normally do. When it comes to the sensitive part of the neck, maybe just do one pass and call it good. After a couple of weeks move to two passes and see how that goes. Another option that worked for me was not doing the whole WTG/ATG thing on th neck, but doing a north to south on the first pass, and a south to north on the second pass.

Slow Joe likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One comment I'd like to add to all the great suggestions is this: Do allow for that problem area to heal before attempting to shave it again. Red, inflamed skin does not respond well to repeated scrapings with a razor's edge—no matter how light or what direction. In my experience, it is best to let the skin reach the point where it is no longer visibly inflamed nor tender to the touch before attempting any new technique. Otherwise, I fear, you will find yourself in an endless loop of rash & hurt every time you lather up.

15. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

When I started shaving I too struggled with this exact same problem for a long time.

First you need to figure out which way your hair grows there, because not everyone's hair will grow downwards. my beard actually grows upwards on my neck where you're getting irritation. So I have to shave upwards to shave with the grain. Then address your razor. personally, I could never get cartridge razors to work for me and fix this issue. I believe a DE razor would help you if you haven't tried using one yet.

as stated above, good lather and maybe a pre shave oil would help.

16. Arvan

Arvan New Member

My beard all grows down straight with the exception of a patch under my left jaw however that is far from the trouble spot. I haven't tried a pre oil to the face so I could do that but I do really work in my lather.

I am using a DE razor right now and it has Lords Platinum blades in it at the moment (although I have used Blue Bird and on other as well which I can't remember for the life of me). I use the Body Shop's Macca Root shaving cream which seems to work great for the rest of my face.

@HolyRollah, I do let my face heal first :) I usually go a week between shaves to vary between clean shaven (which my fiance loves) to scruff/ light beard (which I love).

17. Blaidd

Blaidd Well-Known Member

Maybe try a different blade. If I use a Gillette Silver Blue, I will end up with something similar no matter how new the blade is. If I throw a Feather in the razor, no problems. Also, try to make only 2 passes (WTG/XTG) and pass on the ATG. Is your lather drying out by the time you get to your neck? I know some of my soaps love a bit more water than others.