Can't shave for a while!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hoss304, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

After my last shave I had some bad irritation. I assumed it was my typical razor burn on neck. After trying everything from ice packs to A&D ointment it continued to spread. I woke up this morning and it has went from my neck on to my shoulder. Itches like crazy. What I thought was a bad burn is a skin infection! Doc put me on huge doses of antibiotics. He said should be gone within ten days but to shave lightly or not at all for a while. My luck as I have a ton of new shave gear ordered and shipped. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hope you get healed quick. You may want to sterilize your razors so you don't autoinfect yourself. Good luck!

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Take care of that!! First time I have seen or heard of it. Did he think it was shaving related? By that I mean did the infection come from a razor or maybe outside source.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    battle.munky, Spyder and gorgo2 like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Ouch! I hope you heal fast.

Spyder likes this.
  5. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Curious to if the skin infection was caused by a razor or what the Dr said, i have never seen a skin infection ... i thought you was just going to say you had razor burn, i experienced that once when i first started wet shaving .. then i learned real quick to not use any pressure

Spyder likes this.
  6. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Ooooh you poor baby @Hoss304 .....Never mind..... hear have a baby pork chop to cheer you up, it will get better soon.

[​IMG]

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hope you have a complete recovery.

Spyder likes this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Maybe a alcohol swish after a shave is a good thing.

Spyder likes this.
  9. Hoss304

I thought it was razor burn until it spread down my neck onto shoulder . Doc said it could've been caused by various things. I work in a steel mill so a fresh shave and steel dust might have been the culprit. It's cleared up alot after one day of antibiotics.

Spyder and lightcs1776 like this.
  10. Hoss304

The way my shaves go ... I can get a great shave, then within two days I start getting burn in my neck area. The day of the shave im fine. It's the regrowth that gets me. Always has , carts or DE .. even a electric breaks me out. The ONLY way I get no sort of burn is to do one pass and keep a scruffy beard. I can get a BBS shave but I pay for it the following days. As much as I love DE shaving I get my best shave in shower with a two blade cart or disposable. Sounds crazy but true. I could list all the blades I've tried in a DE but I get the same result with them all for the most part. I think alot of my issues have to do with my uniform at work and how it rubs. It's always on the sides of my neck. But even as a youngster I always had terrible irritation.

Spyder likes this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I had the same thing on my back two years ago. Itching like crazy. I’m now just clearing up fro something similar on my hands. Mine were classified as a fungus. Hopefully you’ll clear up up soon!

12. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Did the doctor say it was cellulitis? It’s a fairly common bacterial skin infection. I’ve had it a couple of times in my lifetime, most recently last month. Mine involved some skin swelling, affected area warm to the touch. Important thing is to get into the doctor if home treatments aren’t working. It’s bacterial and you’ll need antibiotics to treat it.

May or may not be shave related. But cleaning any cuts you get is important. Likewise cleaning your shave gear is important.

Spyder likes this.
  13. Hoss304

No it wasn't cellulitis. It was some other type. Doc prescribed me cephalexin 500mg x3 a day. He said it'll clear up and possibly turn yellowish for a while.

Spyder and sdguero like this.
  14. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I’m glad it’s clearing up for you.

Spyder likes this.
  15. Hoss304

Capture+_2018-01-13-11-36-43.png Capture+_2018-01-13-11-36-43.png

Spyder likes this.
  16. Hoss304

Still some irritation but has cleared up for the most part. Severely dry skin where it was. I've been putting Thayers witch hazel and lotion on it. Hopefully I can shave by this weekend. As you can see I don't get much of a beard lol. That is 5 days growth [​IMG]

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Spyder likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Been there, Done that, many time @Hoss304, while using cartridge razors. It itches soooo bad, it's hard to sleep. I believe they use to call it "Barbers Itch". I rarely have this happen anymore, because I use aftershaves with an alcohol base, and contain glycerin. Also, I use Straight Razors, and they don't irritate my skin.

Spyder likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Glad to hear things are improving.

Spyder likes this.
  19. Hoss304

I use alcohol based aftershaves. Not really sure what went wrong here. Only thing I did out of the ordinary was I used my alum block. It's been stored dry in it's case. I used to use it every shave but just went to two splashes of witch hazel instead.

20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I
    Only use alum to stop a bleed.

Hoss304 likes this.