Caring for safety razor equipment

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Alex7, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Hello. I have some questions about caring for safety razor equipment. 1. How do you clean a safety razor? Would a toothbrush, a small pipe cleaning brush(for hard to reach areas), water, dish detergent or hand soap work for cleaning a safety razor? Do I neeed Scrubbing Bubbles(or a similar product since I'm from Romania and can't find Scrubbing Bubbles here)? Do I need Barbicide? After using the razor what cloth should I use to dry it? A cotton cloth? A microfiber cloth? Can I use my face towel? 2.How do I clean a shaving brush?

RyX likes this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Are we talking about cleaning newly acquired razors or regular care?

For newly acquired razors, I tend toward soaking in hot water with mild dish detergent. The Scrubbing Bubbles are also good and may improve the shine of a vintage razor. The big thing you want to avoid is anything with bleach, ammonia, etc. Something like a toothbrush is good for cleaning small areas, knurling, etc.

For regular use, I really just make sure to thoroughly rinse.

Drying with a regular towel should be fine.

preidy, 178-bplatoon and RyX like this.
  3. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Regular care.

4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Antique store find: soak in Dawn dish detergent, mild scrub with a soft toothbrush. Rinse, air dry. Quick soak of head in rubbing alcohol (the razor, not yours). Ready for use.

Daily use: rinse, air dry. If over time it get lots of soap scum buildup...do same as an antique store find. No need for alcohol bath.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

RyX likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

RyX and jason koonce like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Old/unfamiliar/grimy: dishwasher, normal cycle (nickel only). Works great and hasn't harmed a razor yet. Gold/silver/bakelite: Dawn, polish.

Squeaks (internal) or sluggish TTO: dishwasher, then light machine oil down the neck.

Squeaks (external): oil all moving points. Realign anything that's out of whack.

Regularly used razors: nothing. Maybe shake off the water, that's it.

jason koonce likes this.
  8. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Mineral oil will work just fine for squeaks, and is more safe for the skin (main ingredient in Baby Oil).

What about chrome plated? Dishwasher safe or no? I'd also imaging Stainless Steel is also Dishwasher safe as well.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't think I've ever had a chrome plated one, at least I don't now.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I usually clean them with Dawn dish detergent and polish with Mother Mag Polish using a soft cloth an old T shirt works well. I don't use a TTO or Adjustable so lubrication isn't an issue. But any light oil should work. I use a 3 piece. :)

preidy and Zykris like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Careful with Zemak razors. When the plating is compromised, the underlying cast metal may develop pits.
    pitted zemak.jpg

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Even I wipe down the razor with my face towel after every shave, there still is white residue on it after it dries. I think I have hard water.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It could be hard water, it could be your soap/cream. Some are worse than others. Proraso is a culprit. TOBS creams were bad, if I remember. A bunch of the bigger manufactured soaps are like that.

A couple of years ago, I ditched every soap in my den that was a bad offender. (Except Tabac, because it’s well,,, Tabac .) It wasn’t so much the scum on my razors, but on (in) my brushes.

Dansco likes this.
  14. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I use Palmolive shave cream and D'amaris shave cream.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Definitely couldn't ditch my Tabac!

RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  16. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

My first safety razor was an Edwin Jagger 89DE. I think it had the problem that you mentioned.

RyX likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

That would be a reason to keep it out of the dish washing machine. Bumping and banging could chip the skin. Most of my DE razors a old Gillettes. Some still have nickle plating or gold wash, a couple are bare brass. Also have a new Futur clone that's some kind of covered cast metal. It's easy enough to rinse them off, and shake out the water. If you are seeing hard water spots a quick dip in diluted vinegar might etch off the calcium. This works for brushes, too. I'd want to rinse it off well, because vinegar is an acid.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  18. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

This was my problem https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...-all-the-way-without-staying-in-place.521021/

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Every now & then, I spray some alcohol on a cotton swab to clean the nooks and crannies that a cloth or sponge will not reach.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.