Cella Compendium/Compilation Thread

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Legend In My Spare Time, Feb 28, 2017.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Thank you for confirming this. I really like the cream and my pops has a vacuum sealer. How many sections would you recommend to cut the block into ?

2. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I just kinda eyeballed mine. I cut it into big enough pieces that I can mash into an empty TOBS container til about half full. I've always frozen an entire kilo without cutting it up and it worked out great as well. :)

Kokak and theFAT98 like this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Well if eyeballed into 8 chunks that's roughly 125 grams per chunk. I'll have to go through my tub first, but I might buy it. It's definitely a possibility. I swear this is the German in me. I obsess about things, and they must be a certain way.

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

If it didn't have that awful almond smell, it would be a great soap. Now it's a "now and then" soap for me only (so a brick would definitely be wasted on me). Interestingly, I liked the scent and feel of Vitos "red" better than Cella.

(But I had a half brick of Vitos go bad ... should have stored it in the fridge indeed, but that was already been taken by film rolls at the time )

To clarify; SWMBO probably tolerates either film rolls or shaving soap in our small fridge, but not both!

5. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I think I wound up with about 6-8 pieces as well when I cut it up. I used unscented dental floss to cut mine, like a soft cheese, lol. Worked perfectly. It probably takes me about 2 months of shaving every other day to go through my "chunk" in my TOBS container. I personally load really heavy though, at least 60+ seconds - I don't really have to, but I like extra thick, luxurious lathers for my shaves.

I would say definitely go for it. It is probably the best "bang for your buck" bulk soap out there, in my opinion.

Tedolph and BigMark83 like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Just remember, a thousand shaves worth....

7. JazzDoc

JazzDoc Well-Known Member

Well, kids, I'm apparently the odd man out. Cella is awfully popular 'round these parts. Well I had my first shave with Cella this morning and hated the stuff!
    An almost imperceptible scent, decent cushion, slickness/glide was near absent (there was so much drag I thought I was shaving with alum!)...anyway I stubbornly ended up with a BBS shave after three passes and some touchups, but at the expense of three or four small nicks and a minor burn on the neck. Grrrrr...

By the way - I used an Asylum Rx razor with a Feather Professional SE blade used once previously.

I have about twenty five or so different soaps and creams, and for me, Cella bottomed out on my performance list.
    Please don't hate me, I'm just being honest. Tomorrow I'll turn to my Saponificio Varesino and all will be well again...
    arrivederci!!! :signs011:

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Cella on deck for tomorrow's shave.

9. RetLEO-07

IMG_1104.JPG
    Very nice shave this morning with Cella. 2.5 passes of shaving excellence.

10. RetLEO-07

Today's shave with the Cella and my GEM MMOC ca. 1930-40
    IMG_1233.JPG

11. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Reviving this thread for the Cella shaves this Christmas;

A Tuesday Morning shave with Cella and my Rockwell 6S Matte Black.

Prep: Hot Shower and Bloom/Lather Building Water
    Soap: Cella
    Razor: Rockwell Razors 6S Matte Black(R6, R5, R4, and R3)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Razor
    Blade: Personna Med Prep (5)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Blade (No Idea)
    Brush: Zenith Horse
    AS: Cella
    ASB: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel

A nice relaxing shave. Just nice and relaxing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brit, JACarbone and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  12. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Love me some Cella!

BigD likes this.
  13. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Hey Dad where’s my bloody Cella cookie

14. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BigD likes this.
  15. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I've this big sample from 2015.
    [​IMG]

Then I've searched for miracolous soap all over the world.
    And find a lot of good product. Learning so much about how my skin reacts.
    Unfortunatelly I've a bad dermatitis and some fine soaps are not enough.

In the last couple of weeks I've sticked with Cella Milano.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Extra Extra Purissima (PRO version) is a great soap.
    And my skin feels good, as with the best artisanals.

brit, Sch, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  16. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I love my Cella, but.....

I only use it in the winter because I like to pair it with a warm, spicy sent like a Bay Rum or something like Whiskey Woods that has a hint of gourmand to it. In warmer weather I switch to something cooler and more mentholated. Moreover, with a good double pass straight razor shave I only have to shave every other day so a tub of Cella lasts me a long, long time. To me Cella's outstanding characteristics are the scent, its slickness and excellent post shave feel. It really is good for your complexion. I also appreciate that it rinses clean and doesn't leave a mess on everything like some other tallow based soaps do. All in all, an excellent product at a fair price that has stood the test of time, I look forward to it every time the seasons change to winter.

Cella resized.jpg

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  17. Tedolph

It's that time of year again.......

Well, winter is ending here so it is time to change from my winter soap/AS combination (Cella/VIBR) to my spring soap/AS combination (A&E Kaizen/Clubman classic). And you know what? I miss it already! A&E is a fancy artisan soap, and it whips up a fine lather (probably less finicky than Cella) but on my against the grain SR pass on my left side neck I noticed it-razor was dragging and shaving was rough. Don't get me wrong, there was no razor burn, no nicks and my AS didn't sting but this soap isn't quite as slick as Cella. Is it my imagination or is Cella really that good?

Also, post shave feel is not quite the same.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  18. Tedolph

Cella slickness confirmed:

Took a leisurely Sunday morning shave with a expensive artsinal tallow and castor oil (I hate that smell) based croap. Used a well soaked boar bristle brush and a hot lather bowl. Loaded for twenty seconds and worked the lather for about one minute. Lots of thick cushiony suds and a fine WTG first pass but......

here it is- on the ATG pass: insuficient slickness compared to Cella. No nicks, cuts or weepers from a double pass straight razor shave but not as close or comfortable as Cella, and Cella is half the price.

What would we do without Cella?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Trigger and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  19. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Cry our eyes out. Lol!

Tedolph likes this.
  20. AlfredoT

AlfredoT Well-Known Member

It seems I'm the only Italian in here...

I received it as a gift some years ago when I started my addiction trip.
    At the moment I did not evaluated it thoroughly as my sensations were bouncing among new razors, brushes and soaps, of coure.

It remained confined on the shelf for a avery long time, bt recently I decided to re-test it and I was amazed by its characteristics: lathers easlily, slick and a sturdy bowl.
    I'd have preferred it to be not as tall, but wider... You can't have it all!

Scent is still perceivable and it is not the very bestest fragrance I ever tried, but more than decent.
    Especially at the price we get it here!
    I do not know how much they charge for it now and around the worls, but it is certainly not the most expensive croap in the world. (I've been told the word 'crop' has been invented to define this very soap! But would not bet on it...)

I've used better almond scented soaps than this, but can't coplain according the price and performance.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Tedolph like this.