Charcoal Safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Edwin Jagger Loyalist, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

Just saw this email from West Coast Shaving for these handmade Charcoal safety razors. What do y'all think?

upload_2016-11-2_13-16-33.png

Demidog likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I like the handle, but it has the same type of generic head found on many razors. The handle would look great on a brass head like the Gillette New Short Open Comb. In my opinion, it would have a nice nostalgic look to it.

preidy, MattCB and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Their website is worth a visit just to see all of the awesome handles they turn. It almost seems like those razor heads are just an advert. gimme when you buy a handle. They have some really high end machined heads:

[​IMG]

They are also working on some 3D printed heads that look really cool.

[​IMG]

Both of those are in SS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

It's pretty, no doubt.

I just can't see paying so much for a razor when a Feather Popular or Gillette Super Speed (or Tech) will do the job just as well or better for a fraction of the price.

(My expensive Fatboys are a different story :-D )

battle.munky likes this.
  5. PickledNorthern

Well, we can see you are lodged firmly in the curmudgeon camp.

6. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Bahaaaa. And you can get off of my lawn, too ! :-D

7. PickledNorthern

Excellent!

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

9. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Brian of Charcoal Goods makes some of the most attractive razors around and he's also one of the nicest vendors in the business from my personal experience. I ordered one of his old Zamak heads for my second razor, which I consider my first "true" razor, and it's one of the few razors that I plan on keeping for good. I think that he has come a long way even since last month, and he has been exploring possibilities with aluminum as well, which will be great for those of us who aren't high rollers. A Charcoal Goods razor is one of the items on my most wanted list at the moment.

His soap is also a hidden gem. He generously included a puck when I ordered the razor head and it's tied for my favorite fragrance ever. It looks like the formula changed slightly (for the better) compared to when I received the soap and it always seems to be out of stock when I check, but as long as he keeps making that soap, I'm definitely gonna keep buying it.

[​IMG]

PickledNorthern likes this.
  10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

That's the first I've seen of his new heads, though I've been admiring his handles for a while. If I can convince myself to splurge, I might pick up one of his handles to pair with my NEW Deluxe.

11. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

There's a pretty generous discount on a lot of the handles right now. He has had them on sale for the holidays I think.

12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I know, but I'm nearing the end of a yearly restraint. Be a shame to make it this far and then go out at the end. There will be more sales in the future...

PickledNorthern and Demidog like this.
  13. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Oh Boy! Talk about resurrecting a thread! Nearly 3 years dormant this one and I can’t believe that this razor hasn’t received more talk time about it’s attributes and what it brings to quality craftsmanship and performance on this forum. Anyways, a quick thought on this razor since I have it on loan from another shave member.

Well, time to put one on the future acquisitions list. I’ve already decided on a Timeless as I sampled the .95 SS in a pass around about 2 weeks ago. And now, this beaut has me wrapped up around it’s gorgeous handle. Just an excellent performer from start to finish. It feels good on the skin with the L2 and just a tad bit more blade feel with the L3 but, never intimidating or harsh. The L2 would be my daily if I had to just live with one but, the L3 can also be a daily just a softer touch would be required for my skin. On a couple of days growth, the L3 is a samurai of the highest order. Efficient with laser like cutting prowess. I will miss this set up once I get it packed up again and ship it back to it’s owner. Awesome razor......

0191178C-B628-4684-BDB7-C71C7597B355.jpeg

battle.munky and brit like this.
  14. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I wanted the copper handle with a bee on it but it's no longer available.