Cheap nice OC DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Regan, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I was wondering what OC razors would you guys recommend? I know it is a YMMV thing but just some information for me would be useful so i can look into them and find what I think might work the best for me.

I want to try a OC as it can let more lather into the blade as having a bar and can be "possibly maybe not sure" more aggressive. I like aggressive razors as i love my red tip over my 70s SS. So one that is similar to the Red Tip in aggressiveness it would be wonderful.

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I would suggest a Gillette NEW, easy to obtain, forgiving, and gives a great shave.

You can also get an old style very easy, some people find them more aggressive.

If you want a new razor, then look at the Merkur models.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I will agree with Justin above.

I prefer the Old Type to either the Long or Short Comb NEW.

I tried the Merkur 11c and found it to mild to be usable.

Whatever you try, give it a solid few weeks of daily use. It takes some time to dial in technique.

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Right I have a Merkur but it is a custom that i was given as a present awhile back. It is not an OC but i want to make it an OC. I really love the look of the razor and everything. Just need to change the head somehow. I made a thread on it but have gotten no responses. I would rather do it myself because if i ship it to the states and back it will be 20 dollars and then costs of the new head and labour.

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Huh.. I didn't see the thread. I shudder at the thought of chopping up a safety bar to make an open comb. There are too many ways for that to not comb (sorry, pun intended) out right.

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Haha. Not to chop it up sorry. But to take off the safety bar and then replace that with an open comb. Couldn't chop it up because it is attached ad the ends not all the way through. I believe... I just found the Safety Bar Merkur to be too mild and irritated my neck. Had to do 3 passes on my neck to get it DFS. Now with the red tip I do 2 and its DFS or even BBS depending on the angle of attack and if i want to risk it.

7. newb

newb Resident Newb

I agree a New is an excellent OC. But there's also a single edge, but that opens a whole other can of worms.:D

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Haha yes it does. I was thinking of some GEMs and other SE but then I was like "NO Regan, you cannot start buying SE razors and blades" :happy102

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've never seen a replaceable base plate for Merkur razors. Maybe contact Merkur and you can order a comb base plate?

10. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

That is what I was thinking. Or might have to order a whole new head which wouldn't be the end of the world either. I just don't want to buy a whole new razor when the one i have is beautiful but it is just sitting on my dresser not getting any use.

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Since you said cheap, I'd agree with one of the bar handle Gillette NEW razors. Other than that, any of the open-comb Gillette TTO razors - Sheraton, Senator, Aristocrat, Popular - and they can be had relatively on the cheap for shaver grade units.

If you ever want to treat yourself and go big, get a Darwin. It's on the verge of being my RAD killer as far as actual-use rotation razors go.

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

Dang Jody, you need to stop doing this. Now I have this insane desire to start searching for a Darwin. :eek: Maybe you could post some pictures showing what you need to look for in a good Darwin. I think I've beat the Rad, then I see one of your wonderful finds from some obscure site, and I'm at it AGAIN! AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D I did though just snag a W&B 8/8 at a killer buy it now price. Great,,,,, Like I need another straight.:o I love your posts of your finds as I show them to my wife and explain to her I don't have RAD as bad as you do. Your RAD is saving my marriage. :D

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Glad I could help! Tell your wife I'd take some kind of awesome homemade baked goods as payment for my services! :D

But seriously, if I weren't a collector too and only wanted to own 1 razor, it'd be the Darwin Deluxe DE or Darwin Standard DE (both the same razor, just came in different cases - also not the Darwin Deluxe that's like a Rolls Razor - same Darwin company, 2 total different Deluxe models they made). So yes, the Darwin Standard/Deluxe DE is my rotation-RAD killer but not my collection-RAD killer.

As far as what to look for in one, just make sure there's no damage to it. Otherwise, it's solid cobalt steel which means each piece was cut from a block of steel - which probably wasn't an easy thing to do in 1933... no casting, no pouring molds in batches. So they should all pretty much be the same - again unless the head pieces are damaged somehow.

But damn they are expensive - and now I know why. Not just because of the looks of it... the shave is unbelievable. To me anyway. People are paying $400+ for them. I was lucky to get mine for $80 just by asking an eBay seller if they happened to have one they would be listing for sale. He said yes, said he'd sell it for $80 through PayPal invoice. I said SOLD!

14. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Hmmm 400 hundred for a razor. I don't know :happy102. But 80 dollars I would spend on a razor to end all RAD. Defiantly worth it.

Will keep my eye out for one.