China made DE's...what's worth a second look?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MikekiM, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I have friend who is over in China and is bringing back a few Weishi DE's.. $2 each...

What other items should ask them to look for?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Weishi for $2.00 each! Wow! If you are getting Weishi, I have heard the best reviews of the finish on the gunmetal version.

Definitely grab a Ming Shi too.

If the proximity to Japan will allow, as many Injector type "O" that your friend can lay hands on, if available....

3. herzi

herzi Active Member

I've seen very nice Weishi at a higher prize and real crap Weishis that were real cheap. I hope you get nice ones.

4. arrow

arrow New Member

Saw this one yesterday and thought it looked pretty good.

thesuperiorshave.com/DerbyRazors

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Concord 3 piece razors work pretty well and would be worth a try

6. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Made in China = JUNK!!!!

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 On both counts...

The top one would be a Ming Shi, Derby sells them under The Shaving Factory logo.

So true, I have 2 chrome plated Weishi's that are finished quite nicely and work well, and one that is much lighter and a touch smaller, feels like all aluminum and the quality is far below what the chrome ones are.

8. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Can you tell him to bring a Weishi for me as well :D

9. MikekiM

Can anyone read Chinese??

The Weishi's that are available are on this website... I do see one that is the gunmetal and I will certainly have a few of those brought back.. There is a two tone that looks aweful and the rest all look the same to me..

Any suggestions?

10. stingraysrock

Open the page with Chrome, or use Google translate from the Google Labs page...I am pretty sure the 9306C is the Gunmetal, and if it were my money, that is the only finish I would buy.

11. The weishi razors are great razors. I know, I used them. Nice price, usually there has to be a large order to get that price.

Gunmetal finish is a popular model.

12. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Google Translate

if you have the google toolbar installed you can translate it very easily I just did it or you can go to http://translate.google.com/#it|en| and copy and paste the website address it will translate it for you.

13. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

I don't think they ship internationally.

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Don't forget about the Ming-Shi either....The ones I have tried were great shavers...highly under-rated...I've had 4 and all were Great shavers...

15. MikekiM

Did that already.. thanks!

I don't need them to ship...I have a friend there who will bring them home for me.. I think I mentioned that in the OP...

We're working on that as well...

16. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Ok I see your point..

There are freelance translators (including Chinese students) maybe we need one of them. Here:
    http://www.proz.com/

17. MikekiM

From the translation of the page I see there are copper based models and aluminum based models.. The copper based are more expensive.

Not falling into the trap that more is better... Which is the better one to go for and why? Copper with plating or aluminum with plating??

18. MikekiM

Thanks.. I'd have to think that the cost of a professional translator would negate the savings I have found... so.. I think I rely on Google and guessing.. ;)

19. stingraysrock

I am stating the obvious here, but copper is going to be a heavier razor, and in my opinion, a better razor...

20. MikekiM

Yes I agree....

You're stating the obvious... :happy102

Other than weight, are there any downsides to alu? Or, should I just go with one of each?