Chinese clone of Grand Shave King

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by John Ruschmeyer, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Not quite that bad. Getting too specific could cause thefts, but all of the delivery companies GPS their trucks. They could give zones.

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I worked for a subcontractor doing Collections and Disconnections in the Cable TV business. All of us field agents were issued a radio phone to be used while we were out and about. Found out later the boss could bring up each unit and see where you'd been, how long you spent at each stop, where you had lunch, etc. That was not explained when the radio unit was issued. Some guys had a habit of turning theirs off some portion of their day. Can't say the tracking was needed since we were paid commission on what we collected, be it past due bills or equipment. Now I see you can attach this kind of equipment to your children's school backpack.
    The Human Race needs a new frontier. Anyone want to go mine the asteroids with me?

Keithmax likes this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Big Brother is always watching.

Herm

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I received my Yaqi DOC head yesterday and had my first shave with it this morning. The blade was a brand new Astra SP and the handle was from a DeFitch.

General impressions- The head seems to be well made with no obvious issues. The overall design is similar to a Gillette Old Type, except for the slotted cap. One noticeable feature is that the teeth on the baseplate seem short; this is especially noticeable when a blade is loaded as the edge comes very near the end of the teeth. The short comb tends to give the razor a lot of blade feel; I don't know if this is by design, but it should be of interested to those who say that the GSK and PAA razors are too mild. I can't really say if the slotted cap made any difference, though. I suspect that the "lubricating" feature was overrated, but that the smaller surface area might be helpful in cases where the lather was very dry or insufficient.

Overall, I had a very close shave with no issues and only a mild tingle from the Alum.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

It now comes in pink "for lady":
    27907864_1968924043137374_6243887361046497594_o.jpg

Jorvaljr, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  6. Bookworm

Now THAT looks more Yaoi.

7. John Ruschmeyer

Oddly, it's actually less expensive than both the chrome and blue versions.

8. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

So what's the verdict? Was it worth it?

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm happy. Using the top plate on the Fatip next.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Thus.

[​IMG][​IMG]

RyX and Bookworm like this.
  11. Bookworm

Wow. How picky is the angle?

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not picky. With the Fatip plate there's still positive exposure even with the wider cap and enough gap that it was an easy go. Maybe slightly less efficient then stock Piccolo but a worthwhile alternative to the two donor razors.

RyX likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I found much the same using a Muhle R89 cap with a Fatip base. It reduced the native aggression of the stock Fatip.

That OC cap looks cooler!

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

jmudrick likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Muhle cap said to be 19.9mm looks wider to me than the Yaqi, so I expect it tames aggression a bit more than the does the DOC. I don't have calipers but I'm guessing the Yaqi measures closer to the Mk2 Fatip (19mm), with the Mk1 being a very narrow 18mm.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Joe works fast, now also for sale at Italian Barber as the Razorock SLOC.
    [​IMG]

Jorvaljr and Bookworm like this.
  16. Bookworm

Hey - it's all about marketing. He's attracting people through the Razorock name who would never go looking for a 'furrin' razor. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Keithmax and jmudrick like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Especially at his prices, sure.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You buying the coffee. Friend of mine has his teen daughters car hooked up like that.

RyX likes this.
  19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

When was this added?? I was just on their site yesterday, while I was ordering the Yaqi one. I was looking through the "New Stuff " section on Italian Barber, and it was not there at the time. Now when I go back, it's the first thing up. We'll I guess I'll have the Yaqi and maybe the SLOC later...

On Aliexpress, I also spotted a head that was Open Comb on one side and Tech Bar style on the other, made by VIG Shaving. I ended up ordering that to try as well.

On a side note, I figured out that if you check out with two vendors at once on Aliexpress it does not let you use PayPal. But if you check out with both individually you can use PayPal, odd huh...

RyX likes this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep was added last night. I'll have to take a look at that VIG thing. Does it look like the Ikon?