Chiseled Face Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Zykris, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I'm looking into getting a Cryogen sample. I'm a sucker for a menthol blast after trying Stirling Lemon Glacial Chill, which I love. I was wondering about Ghost Town Barber, Santa Paula and Sherlock. Anyone have any reviews of these soaps? My only issue would be a very strong scented soap as it tends to give me major headaches. Thanks you guys.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Sherlock is fantastic, I have a jar of Cryogen that I bought at a discount, it's okay I'd rather use Stirling.

Kizurra, crackstar and Zykris like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Hmmm...the Cryogen just not as strong, bad lather? Is the Sherlock subtle or strong?

Kizurra and crackstar like this.
  4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Here are my thoughts,

Without any malice meant to Chiseled Face and in fact with respect I say this:

Their Cryogen soap would be a winner if it had a definitive scent, if the skincare would be better, and if it was easier to lather. The menthol effect goes a bit, just a BIT stronger than the Glacials. However, the Glacials are much easier to lather, they all smell wonderful, and their skincare is perfect. The menthol effect from them is mega-powerful none the less, but the Cryogen is less than a nose in front. I have confidence in Ron and I'm sure he'll get the formula down pat really soon. :)

5. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Ghost Town Barber is a terrific soap, IMO, but is a stronger scent.

Jim99, Kizurra, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Dang it. LOL! I hate have scent sensitivities.

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I only have a sample, but I don't find it that strong. It reminds me of fresh laundry for some reason. I like it, but the wife doesn't. She's not a fan of the Smoky note. She said it smells like my stepmom. Clean and fresh cigarette smoker.

Jim99, Kizurra, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Cryogen. It is numbing it's so cold. and it is very thirsty, but A decent performer. I tried ghost town barber, trade winds, and Sherlock- I didn't care for the scents; they're pretty sharp and strong. I haven't tried Santa Paula.

Jim99, Kizurra and crackstar like this.
  9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the feedback. It's helping me make a better decision on what samples I should gun for with an informative mind.

Kizurra, crackstar and dustmite like this.
  10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I had 2 Cryogen tubs. After using one of them twice I gave it to a friend of mine who loved it. I sent the other one away to another very good friend of mine. Once again, I don't hate or even dislike Cryogen but it doesn't give me the shaving pleasure that the Glacials give me.

Kizurra, MR41 and Zykris like this.
  11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

For me it's kinda like hot wings- they can get so hot you can't taste them because your taste buds are burned. Cryogen was so cold I really couldn't feel the cold because my face was just numb.

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

didja see that, @crackstar ?

Kizurra and Zykris like this.
  13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Great feedback!

Kizurra and Paul Turner like this.
  14. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I have Cryogen, Ghost Town, & Sherlock. Cryogen is seriously cold, but the scent smells like Vicks vapor rub. I haven't experienced any lathering issues, but I have very soft water. Over time, I like Ghost Town less. It reminds me of almost a hair spray odor. Sherlock smells great and I like it more over time. I think they all perform pretty well. In my opinion, all the scents are all fairly strong, and are above average. If you prefer milder scented soaps, I could not recommend these to you. I think when the Cryogen & Ghost Town are done, I'd replace them with something else. Sherlock is a keeper for me. That's my honest opinion for my tastes.
    Steve

crackstar, Kizurra and Zykris like this.
  15. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Love them all! Love the scents but crackstar is the menthol master whose menthol obsession and experience far exceeds mine. The scent strength for me is perfect but if you have issues with scents go for samples first, as you can see I'm a fan and maybe even biased for how much I enjoy them. 20170330_213425_resized.jpg

crackstar, Jim99, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

It really depends on each different products. Certain ones will set off a headache while others don't. I avoided the Ghost Town Barber and decides to get samples of Cryogen, Sherlock and Santa Paula. Worse comes to worst and I can't handle certain scents, I'll just PIF them.

crackstar, Smooth Steve and Kizurra like this.
  17. nikonNUT

nikonNUT Well-Known Member

I have Summer Storm (a great petrichor scent), Santa Paula Citrus (It's a citrus bomb but has a green note. From the Pettigrain I'd guess), and Rhinoceros. The first two are awesome and Rhino is AMAZING but pretty stout so YMMV.

COMPNOR, Kizurra and Zykris like this.
  18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Tried Cryogen today. While it was cold, I found just a little colder than Stirling Glacials. My eyes were watering. Nice soap but I am leaning towards Stirlings Lemon Glacial Chill more. Eh, you live and explore.

Kizurra, ninjack and Smooth Steve like this.
  19. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I'll be interested in how you like Santa Paula and Sherlock. I think I am with you on the Cryogen. It is good, but I want to try the Lemon Glacial myself. Sounds like it is cold enough, but with a better scent.
    Steve

Kizurra, crackstar and Zykris like this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I've been using ghost town barber every day for two months now and have to say I do like it. The scent reminds me not so much of a barber shop, but of Jones Beach on Long Island in July. There's just a hint of coconut that makes it smell like coppertone. It's still good with me.

The lather is slick, but I do find myself having to re-lather before the end of the first pass.

I do like it and it is a very good soap, but it does have that drawback.