Chiseled Face Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Zykris, Mar 25, 2017.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Without a doubt the Glacial Lemon Chill has a lovely scent in addition to its intense menthol power, terrific lather, and soothing post-shave care. Even though the Cryogen is so killer-cold it does absolutely NOTHING to please me. No discernible scent, it's hard to lather, and I don't find it so skin-friendly. I respect Ron a lot and I'm sure he's a very capable artisan, but the Cryogen is unfortunately not up my alley. :)

2. crackstar

Thanks for such a nice compliment, but I'm just a menthol lover and user - not a master! ;)

Kizurra and Zykris like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I just got finished using Sherlock a couple of days ago and today was Santa Paula day. First off, Sherlock. I actually enjoyed it very much. The scent was a little hard for be to pinpoint certain notes but it did remind me of a detective that just came off the field type deal. Wet dirt but in a good way.
    Santa Paula, the first whiff reminded me of Stirling's Piancenza a bit but with a different scent profile. If that makes any sense. Both lathered well with either a Semogue 1250 or WD High Mountain. Left a smooth result and my skin felt pretty good. I, genuinely, liked those two. Next samples are Trade Winds and Summer Storm. Not sure about those quite yet but ill have a better idea once they are lathered.

Kizurra, Paul Turner and crackstar like this.
  4. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Let me know about Trade Winds and Summer Storm. Those are two I'm looking at sampling.

5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Will do.

Kizurra, crackstar and COMPNOR like this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

@COMPNOR Just got done using the Trade Winds today. Nice and slick, decent cushion I'd say. Used my Semogue boar brush to whip the lather up. Post shave was decent as well. Scent wise, their description to what my nose picked up threw me off. LOL! Honestly, I think I picked up the mint, cucumber and the ozone smell more than anything. I didn't really pock up too much aquaticor the base of old spice. Bad? No but it was definitely a mild scent. Strength rating I'd say about a 3-4 outta 10. Great if you can't tolerate strong smells. It was pleasant.

Kizurra, crackstar and Paul Turner like this.
  7. COMPNOR

Hm... OK thanks. I might pick up a sample, but my hopes for this soap aren't as good as they once were.

Kizurra and crackstar like this.
  8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Sherlock is awesome, even picked up the bath bar. But it is a strong scent. Santa Paula is a green citrus, like the leaves from an orange tree, a unique take on citrus scent.

Cryogen is serious stuff, way too strong for my taste, don't like tears and or running nose getting in my lather. That is a bit gross IMO. However I do like menthol but to a point, I would only recommend Cryogen if you are a true menthol junkie. All Chiseled Face soaps have good performance so it's just a matter of picking a scent you like. Samples may be the way to go, they last for around 5-7 shaves which gives you plenty of time to figure out which ones you would like enough for a full tub.

9. COMPNOR

The few soaps I've tried have been weak in the scent department. At this point I don't care if it smells like baby vomit I want to not have to huff it. But if Trade Winds isn't even at half on a scale, it isn't something I want. But as everyone's nose is different, I probably will get a sample.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. crackstar

I wonder if the other Chiseled Face soaps have any of the same lathering issues as the Cryogen.

11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I haven't run into that with my other Chiseled Face soaps. Cryogen is touchy. Very water sensitive from what I've read.

Kizurra and crackstar like this.
  12. crackstar

I went through hell trying to get the Cryogen to lather properly. I finally managed to do it but I didn't think it was worth the effort.

13. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Slightly hard to hard water may be the cause, a little bottled water may do wonders. Still there is an awful lot'a menthol in there.:Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:

Zykris and crackstar like this.
  14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Just got done with Summer Storm using a Vie Long 04312 horse brush. Great lather like all the other Chiseled Face soaps. Slick, great volume. The scent, this will sound weird because scents are hard to describe, but it reminded me of the cool water cologne. It's not a mild scent strength either. I'd put it at a 7/10 for strength. Still lingering a bit after 45 mins. Not bad.

COMPNOR and Kizurra like this.
  15. COMPNOR

I think I'll definitely have to get a sample of this. Thanks.

Zykris and Paul Turner like this.
  16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Sounds good!

17. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Cryogen is meant for those very humid days. Morning shave. Allot of input but it is safe to say it is probably the coldest soap on the market. For the summer I'm going to rotate Cryogen, Eskimo Tuxedo and Artic Hydra. I'll keep one for next years rotation when I add Snake Bite and Artique to the rotation.

For the fall going to run Fine Platinum.

For the winter looks like Sherlock, Ghost Town Barber and Fiddy Puddin will be the winter rotation.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk