Chop up a Derby shave stick?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PumperNickel-BageL, Mar 25, 2018.

1. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

I have a Derby shave stick that I would like to break down and use it like a puck inside a mug.

What is the best way to do so? The soap is harder than Arko and cannot be smooshed

RyX likes this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Drag it across a cheese grater over your bowl and then press down the flakes.

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Or , as i do, run it through a salad shooter, lol.
    Yes grated however.

brit and Terry Williams like this.
  4. PumperNickel-BageL

I dont have a grater but would it be okay if I chop it into small cubes and then crush it down into the bowl? Will it compact down if its chopped into small cubes?

RyX likes this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

depends on your had strength, it should do fine. Grated makes it smoother.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Primotenore likes this.
  6. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

If you have a knife to cut it, then why not shave off thin strips along the length like you would peeling a carrot. Then chop up the strips. That would approximate the chips that you get from a grater.

RyX and PumperNickel-BageL like this.
  7. PumperNickel-BageL

That sounds like a good idea, very straightforward. Thanks guys I will try it as a stick on the face first and then convert it to a bowl if the performance is not what I am expecting from stick-rubbed-to-face

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Invest in a cheese grater. This won't be the only time you'll be using it for a soap. :happy097:

Linuxguile, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  9. PumperNickel-BageL

It seems like over 80% of members (on a different thread) all keep saying that performance is best if I just rub the stick on my wet face so that is probably what I will end up doing but I wanted to know if the stick can be manipulated or if a "Strong Man from the Circus" could squash down the stick into a mug using just his bare hands. Like those guys that rip a telephone book in half on those infomercials at 3am. Oh wait, that was back in 1987 with the telephone book ripping and they where religious guys I remember

RyX likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

For the face lathering crowd, dampening you face provides enough water to soften up the surface of the stick to load your face. I guess. If they are a bunch of face latherers that's just the kind of thing they would say. I have mushed a stick of Arko, and a stick of Palmolive into containers. Why? I'm a bowl latherer. I can dribble a little water on the surface of my tubbed sticks to soften them up. Doesn't take a minute to load a brush and off to my bowl I go! Being able to see as I incorporate water into the mix gives me the control I don't have while trying to make lather on my face.

brit and Primotenore like this.
  11. PumperNickel-BageL

I dont doubt that you can load the brush faster from a bowl but I worry that more of the surface area of the soap is getting wet if you use a bowl and I think that its the water that "wears away" at the soap. So I was thinking if less of the soap is getting wet everyday that it will last longer (maybe an extra month or 2 in total). But I will come back to this thread and update after I get the soap in the mail and have a chance to use it.

RyX likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I put mine in one of those push up containers and taped the wrapper on the outside. I'm a face latherer, so I just wet my face and rub it on my face and begin lathering.
    [​IMG]

RyX and PumperNickel-BageL like this.
  13. PumperNickel-BageL

Thats a great idea, it looks really nice with the label. How do you feel the Derby performs compared to Arko? Feel free to chime in anybody else who has used both soaps and can compare them.

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I think I prefer Arko to Derby. I have used Arko for a few years, and I just got the Derby because I have never used it. It is harder, but I was able to get a good lather out of it. They are about the same in performance. I like the softer Arko better though.

15. PumperNickel-BageL

I was suspicious that the Arko would not last as long since its a softer soap. Im going to do a thread about it after I get it to run the experiment. I will try to beat that other guy that got 158 shaves with Arko stick. We shall see.

Ksblazer likes this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

A stick of Arko costs 98 cents. It can last for months. Never thought to look much farther into it.

Primotenore likes this.
  17. PumperNickel-BageL

They have actually gone up in price now to 16.71 for a 12 pack on Amazon

$1.40 each and thats assuming you are a member of Amazon Prime for 99$ per year That is a 40% increase in only 1 year. Or is it 140% increase? I forget how to calculate it

I would wager price will go up to over 3 dollars per stick (even when bought by the dozen) within the next 2 years. Because as soon as mainstream society finds out about Arko its going to blow up.

RyX likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Hey Chris @Bama Samurai , you've been challenged!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Primotenore

Article Team
    Why would anyone want Arko to last longer? :happy097: Better yet, why would anyone want Arko at all???

20. Primotenore

Article Team
    They even leave pucks of Arko just lying around for anyone to take! :sick007:
    urinal-cakes.jpg