Cilantro: citrus/lime flavor or dish soap?

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by MarshalArtist, Apr 2, 2015.

1. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

The thread on Lilac Vegetal and people's differing perceptions of its scent made me wonder about this herb used in Southwestern cooking. There is, apparently, a genetic variant that causes some people to taste cilantro and perceive the lime/citrus flavor and others to taste soap. (I am in the latter category.) I'm wondering how many can taste the actual flavor and how many think it tastes like someone forgot to rinse the dish in which the food was prepared?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  2. razrmnky

razrmnky Active Member

I'm guessing you meant "genetic" variant. It's funny that you mention this. I just had a conversation about it with someone the other day. I happen to love cilantro (or coriander for those not in North America), but the other person was in the other camp. I feel bad for those that can't enjoy it. On the bright side, when you mouthed off as a kid your parents knew they didn't have to use real soap to wash your mouth out.

3. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Yes I did! Curse you, autocorrect!

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This is funny, because both my wife and I used to think that cilantro tasted just like soap! Not anymore. We love it. I juice it. I guess it is really an "acquired" taste.

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I can see where one would describe it as soapy. I've grown up eating it though and it's always just been cilantro tasting.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I taste it correctly and love it and I got Mama Bear (http://mamabearssoaps.com/) to make a lime-cilantro shave soap. Available with or without menthol. It's called Czar's Choice. :)

ram57 likes this.
  7. razrmnky

razrmnky Active Member

On a related note, I have a rare genetic disorder where my dish soap tastes like cilantro.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Cilantro - never leave home without it

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Cilantro is important.

10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Awesome Stuff. Have the Iced Czar's Choice and my favorite mentholated shave soap and have two pucks in reserve.

richgem likes this.
  11. richgem

:bounce015:

12. elduderino914

elduderino914 Active Member

I think I get a little bit of both. Probably depends on how it it's being served. I do enjoy it even when it tastes soapy. That cilantro lime soap sounds delicious:eatdrink020:

13. richgem

Oh, it is. :D

elduderino914 likes this.