CJB Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Tiredricefarmer, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Just tried for the second time with my CJB shavette and I'm doing ok on my cheeks and neck. However, when I get to my upper lip and chin my stubble is so course that it just catches instead of cutting and I have to stop because I cut or nick myself. I'm sure technique has a lot to do with it and my soap is plenty slick. Kinda frustrating. Any suggestions? Let me add I was using a Feather blade and had one day growth.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Keithmax and RyX like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Is it because you're having difficulty getting a good angle? I haven't shaved my lip in a while. Sporting a friendly mutton chop look. I've seen videos where people have pushed the tip of their nose upwards to help get a good angle if that helps and that's what I did to get the shavette cutting right.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. Tiredricefarmer

I am having trouble with the angle, mainly my chin. The blade is catching on my stubble, doesn't help that it's the toughest part of my beard.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Any kind of prep before the shave? I know some do not care about prep. @Bama Samurai . I think it can help though. Biggest issue will be angle and confidence probably. I do not shave under nose but like I say in all my videos the chin is my hardest area to shave.

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's really probably just blade angle, as it changes rapidly over the chin area. Come in too high and the bevel hangs on the side of the hair shaft and pulls for a second before it cuts through.

I am prep agnostic and feel it's irrelevant at best, and injurious overkill at the extremes.

It takes a little time. That's all.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  6. Tiredricefarmer

I'm cold water shaving, I bloom with cold water and use that for my prep, same as I do when I DE shave. I do ok everywhere else accept chin. The razor just stops, lol.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You keep my dictionary app very busy. :cool::think002:

RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

I remember going through that. You'll get it all figured out!

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Only thing bad about cold water shaving is the water is not warm. Keep at it. It's just a matter of practice!

10. Tiredricefarmer

Think I'm a little frustrated more than anything. I probably should be happy I've done as well as I have considering a shavette isn't what you should start straight shaving with.

RyX likes this.
  11. Tiredricefarmer

I agree. I just get too much irritation with warm water. Wish I could cause warm water seems more relaxing and I like the feel of it better.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They do not rust if you put them down for a few days either. Be very happy with yourself for doing as good as you are!!

13. Bama Samurai

Just do it. You'll be able to pick up any straight or open blade if you master the CJB.

14. Tiredricefarmer

Guys I really do appreciate the support, I'll get it figured out. Thanks!

Pilotcld and Zykris like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

My bad.

Prep ain't really gonna matter one little bit in the end.

MR41 and RyX like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Don't even need a babble fish for that!! Bully!!

17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

And you and I will have to kindly disagree on that.

18. Bama Samurai

"if one can't control the angle, prep won't matter with an open blade."

Its true! I am a cold water advocating, alkali chemistry believing, open blade loving, no prep maniac.

But... Honestly, there are many paths to good shaves. I only preach the one I walk.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

And I contend proper angle without prep will provide a crappy shave. My face told me this...:)

Keithmax likes this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

How many passes are you doing? Do you use both hands? What pass is giving you problems?

Prep makes a big difference for me, if I have not done proper prep then I skip the ATG pass. That being said angle is also a likely problem, it will take some experimentation for find the proper angle. Straights (including shavettes) are the ultimate adjustable so there is a huge range of angles possible.

You are just two shaves in so it will take some time, I suggest going as far as you are comfortable then finishing with a DE or SE. The learning curve is much longer than with a DE, try using the shavette for a month and then you will see a large improvement, it took me almost 100 shaves to attain proficiency and consistency with a straight.

Shavettes are harder than straights to learn but once you can shave with a shavette you will pick up shaving with a straight very quickly.

Spyder and Tiredricefarmer like this.