Classic Barbershop Scent

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I would like to buy a classic barbershop scented soap. I see there are many soaps named "Barbershop"...but I am searching for THE one soap that is the classic barbershop scent. Any recommendations?

btw...I can't wait until someone invents "scratch and sniff" monitors. Buying soaps online "scent unsniffed" is difficult.

BamaT, whiteboy_cannon and PLAla like this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Fine American Blend

th-7.jpg

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Mike's Barbershop

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Love My Skin makes three Barber shop scented soaps. Here are their descriptions........ Barber Shop 1920’s: Heart notes of amber and rum with a light top note of musk and bay. Barber Shoppe: Vibrant Bergamot and fresh basil leaf are complimented by earthy notes of Oakmoss and white patchouli. Shave and a Haircut: A masculine scent with clean, sharp finish. It's the perfect combination of barbershop aromas. This fragrance combines the scent of a strong yet sweet aftershave along with hints of aromatic spices and orange zest. I have Barber Shop 1920’s and Shave and a Haircut and like them both. Great prices and combined shipping.

Rusty blade likes this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

My favorites are Stirling soap barbershop and Route 66 barbershop hop. They are both fantastic scents and both are top soaps for lather, cushion, and glide.

preidy, Salty Belle, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  6. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

There are many to choose as varied as barbershops themselves. What you think of as a barbershop scent will be djfferent than some in another local. Thankfully there are bunches of really good performing soap manufacturers that have their own take.

For me
    Barrister and Mann Seville
    Fine American Blend
    Truefitt and Hill Grafton
    Stropshoppe Barbershoppe

Rusty blade and clint64 like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Pinaud Clubman Shave Soap, if you are going for the classic Americana.
    If you are going for vintage English or French barbershops, the Lavender, Vanilla, and spice of MWF is probably more of what you are looking for, or Barrister and Mann's Seville.

It all depends on what defines "barbershop" to you. If you think that citrus, green/herbal, and spice is barbershop, then most of the artisan soaps labelled 'barbershop' will be what you are looking for, with the biggest difference between them the balance of those three things.

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I don't like what I'm reading so far about Clubman's Shave Soap and its Barber Shave Cream. I mean, I'm sure they work well, but I don't see them as being 100% Clubman scent-wise.

9. Paul Turner

I can comment about both your concerns-I bought Stirling Barbershop Bath Soap(2) from its website.

10. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Mickey Lee Soapworks - The Kraken
    Maggard Razors - London Barbershop
    Taylor of Old Bond Street - Jermyn Steeet
    Taylor of Old Bond Street - Mr Taylor

11. Paul Turner

I have my eyes on that London Barbershop(Maggard's). Pretty good, eh?

Terry Williams and Rusty blade like this.
  12. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Start with Stirling and collect from there. It will be the cheapest most true to scent barbershop that you can get although it will be synthetic compared to the higher priced soaps.

What is your experience with barbershop if any (aftershave s?)and what is your favorite so far? Answering that question will help us steer you in the right direction

13. Paul Turner

I've used Clubman A.S,. for many years, and love it. You mention Stirling's. I have that now, and it's pretty good, but not like Clubman. I will say the slickness of Stirling's B-shop is a little better than that of Eddie Pinaud's Clubman.

14. Straight razor dandy

I consider pinaud clubman aftershave a "must-buy" for every shaver

Paul Turner likes this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As has been said, there is no THE ONE, but I hope you find one you like.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  16. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

@Paul Turner I like Maggard's London Barbershop a lot for its scent. Other aspects, like lather and glide are also very good (as with many of their soaps). The scent is very similar to MLS The Kraken and Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber. Though, I am most fond of the scent of Maggard London Barbershop, the Mickey Lee soaps seem to agree better with my face. There is something that a bit cooling in London Barbershop that exacerbates the effects of a blade gone bad. So, I still use the London Barbershop, but only with a brand new blade. However, I am not that big on any of the matching aftershaves for any of these soaps. I'm not sure why that is, but there is something about the aftershaves' scents that seem less fresh. I guess. But, there are many aftershaves that are a great finish to all of these barbershops soaps (like, Pinaud Clubman, Old Spice, etc.).

Paul Turner and Mike Brown like this.
  17. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I am generally very impressed with the quality of Barrister & Mann soaps. Is there any B&M soap that comes close to the classic barbershop scent? Someone above suggested Seville. Any others?

18. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

My old barber must have used Tabac since the Tabac scent reminds me of the old barber shop I use to attend with my grandfather as a child.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  19. Straight razor dandy

Having just recently acquired barrister and mann's Seville, I would add it to the list as well. Get the new one with the orange label, however, since it is the improved glissant formula.

So...for those counting...Stirling, Route 66, and barrister & mann are my tops in performance and scent.

I would agree that mickey lee soapworks kraken is also great, but it isnt the clasdic barbershop that I believe you are looking for.

Salty Belle and Terry Williams like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Thank you for these comments @Terry Williams . I'm also interested in the ChiseledFace barbershop offering you mentioned. And good advice on Clubman as a finisher for the b-shop soaps. I must say, I prefer Clubman over Stirling as a barbershop aftershave, but both are fine.

Terry Williams likes this.