Clean Shaven Look

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Adelio, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Adelio

Adelio Active Member

In the hayday of the DE razor, especially in the 1940s and 1950s, sporting much facial hair was out of fashion. Today, facial hair from showing a bit of stuble to full beards is common. I suppose we're a less formal society in a variety of ways. I'm wondering how many Shave Den enthusisats are clean shaven most of the time. I'm guessig that loving to shave and try out new razors and produsts must rresult in a pretty clean-cut bunch.

2. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

I am rarely ever clean shaven. I have a goatee. Sometimes I trim it down to look like stubble or I will grow it out to a few inches and just trim my mustache so I don't have hair over my lip.

3. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Have had a mustache since I was 20, but am otherwise clean shaven almost every day, by choice. I just enjoy it! And I enjoy different aftershaves etc. When I was an electric shaver I would almost never shave on my days off from work. Now I hate touching my face and feeling stubble. And who doesn't enjoy compliments for smelling good? I got complimented standing in line at the theatre to buy popcorn this week. Go figure... :happy005:

Conrad1959 likes this.
  4. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I've rarely been totally clean shaven since I graduated high school. I've either always had a mustache, or some kind of beard, or both. Even when I grow a full beard, I shave the bottom 2 inches along the neck line because I get severe irritation there when I don't shave that area.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband is clean-shaven (including his handsome, shiny head) and really hates stubble. For much of his life, he has had a mustaches, but never wanted a fuzzy chin.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I shave every day, except for the handlebar!

7. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Except for a well groomed goatee and soul patch I want no other hair on my face. If I was thinner I would probably shave the goatee, as it is almost entitely gray.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As you can see from my pic, I rock a soul patch goatee combo. I usually keep the goatee trimmed down less than what it is in the picture. Aside from that, I shave daily, sometimes twice a day. Once every two weeks or so, I'll skip a day to let my razors rest.;)

Conrad1959 likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Goatee and Mustache but the remainder of the face and head are shaved daily.

10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I've got a goatee and a stache and shave quite often..sometimes too often. Got to test out all those new acquisitions..:shaver

11. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

My current style is a mustache/goatee and sideburns to my earlobes. I always have a beard of some kind, because I grow a very nice beard and I love it. Usually during the summer it's just a goat, and from post-season baseball until Spring training it's full beard. Even then I still get the pleasure of shaving my beard line and enjoying my colognes.

I don't like shaving my upper lip anyway--I almost always nick myself and even when I don't I always miss a spot or two, and can never get it smooth right below my nose.

12. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

No facial hair. I have no gray hair, but my beard, when I let it grow, is almost entirely gray! The two-tone look is not a good look for me. Actually, the one-tone look is not that good either.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  13. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I have a chin strap thingy that I keep debating shaving off but I know if I do I'll look way to young.

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I usually shave every 3-4 days (my girlfriend likes the stubble). When I was deployed or away on drill weekends or any training exercises, I have to be clean shaved. Speaking of that, I have a two week annual training coming up where I'll have a fun time shaving in the field...

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The only hair above my adam's apple is my eyebrows.

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

No eyelashes?

17. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

(Don't mention that... he lost them in a tragic straight razor incident - he's quite sensitive, you know...) :innocent

PLANofMAN and Slipperyjoe like this.
  18. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I personally like to let my beard grow two days or so just so I can see and hear what I am shaving off. If my beard grew faster, I would probably shave once a day, but my face doesn't fill out with whiskers until at the very least two full days has passed in between shaves. For the most part if you see me from 10 feet away or more I appear clean shaven.

The 1940's and 50's were well before my time, but looking at pics of family back in that time, I can see what you mean. All my life when my father was alive he always had a mustache. When I was very young he sported a small handlebar mustache. Not a decade back my mom showed me some pictures of her and dad in the early years of their marriage and he had no mustache. Quite surprising for me actually.

On another note my mom related a story to me in which she was a witness to an incident that happened in her early years of college. Probably around 1956-57. She was in college choir with a high school friend of hers who according to her had dared to sport a mustache. She told me that a bunch of guys grabbed a hold of him, got him on the floor, and proceeded to take a safety razor and shave off his mustache.

I personally, of course do not know what happened that day, but needless to say I take my mother at her word. If true, that was harsh in my opinion; but not surprising at all to me considering that I live in an area of the Midwest that I consider to be very socially conservative. So thus I can only imagine that in the 1950's, Lockstep Conformity was probably the norm.

19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I believe before the safety razor, beards and facial hair were popular because many didn't have the time or steady hands to desire a straight 8 encounter every morning...Also the honing and up-keep; while fun for some can be thought of as a drag to many aswell...Therefore facial hair was so popular even Presidents and Kings wore facial, and it was the norm...

Enter the age of the safety razor....Boom!!...Gillette did such a fine job of advertising...No man was allowed to dinner a second time without a clean shave...After a couple decades, facial hair became rare and moustaces became trimmer and trimmer for those who chose to sport them...

Late 60's early 70's the Youth Counter Culture just did everything possible to not appear like their parents....This was my time,,,My Dad asked why the long hair but he dug the long moustace...I wasn't rebelling against my Pop...To me he was the hippest cat I knew...;)
    But I told him...I'm not the type to look in mirrors very often...so the way I look stylistically has more to do with what the girls I'm digging at the time like....That simple....I was playing in rock bands and if looking like one of the '3 Musketeers' meant I had a better time...so be it...lol

By the 80's everything started to clean up...I started playing Jazz and the chicks that hung out at $50 cover charge Jazz Clubs liked clean shaven and as nice a suit as possible...So basically the 'Miami-Vice' look not with-standing, the clean cut look was back...and polyester was on its way out....

A decade or so back I believe the price of Mach 3 blades, along with the ingrown hairs that go along with said system....started to make facial hair popular again...Kind of like before there were safety razors. I don't think its because times are more relaxed. I think its because people don't want to spend the bread it cost to replace those Mach 3, or Fusion cartridges on a regular basis...Plus the enjoyment of shaving seems to be lost with those systems...

Enter the Retro-Shaving...Tradional Wet Shaver....I think around these parts...within' this style...you will find a higher percentage of cats you are clean shaven and smelling great....The joy of shaving has returned to us...and our wives and girlfriends seem to be happy with this aswell....

These are just some random thoughts...from someone who doesn't think much on a regular basis....lol

Switchermike and PLANofMAN like this.
  20. Adelio

Adelio Active Member

Interesting observations. You seem to think a lot.