Clean-Up: Gillette Slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Bought a lot of five razors recently (where the only one I wanted was the Wilkinson Sticky - in the lower right hand corner of the lot-photo):
    [​IMG]

Directly to the left of it, your sharp eyes might spot a Gillette Slim - and if so you're right it is.
    Now, as much as I like the Gillette Slim I already have one so this one will most likely be sold (to offset some of the cost for the lot) or given to a friend who is interested in wet shaving (if he's still interested next week I'd say I'd have to give it to him). Ugh. :)

The date code H3 indicates that it was made in the third quarter of 1962.

Anyway, the razor seemed to be mechanically very sound - doors open and closes fine, tightens down well, it clicks on all numbers. Check, check, check. It was however rather gunky and 'tired' looking.

Pre-clean up photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your typical gunky-estate-find-looking-potentially-usable razor

Clean-up:
    - Soak in soapy water for a couple of hours,
    - Spray some scrubbing bubbles on it and clean it with a soft, toothbrush,
    - Clean it up with some Haggerty's on some old, but clean, t-shirt rag pieces.

Post-clean up photos:
    Apart from the top of the head that still shows some use the rest of the razor cleaned up really nicely - the inside got a very nice shine to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So no where near "mint" or what a re-plated razor looks like...but for a few pennies of product and maybe 10-15 minutes of polishing it came out looking like I razor I wouldn't feel bad about giving to someone :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That's outstanding! And my birth year! You really hit it out of the park! :happy088:

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks!
    Is it even your birth quarter? :)

4. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

Did I hear 'giving it to someone"? Just kidding! LOL

How do you check and make sure the adjustment part is working? Even though it can click, I seen that it doesnt mean that the settings are actually changing! Is there any test one can do!

I would like to try one someday but alittle afraid of getting one that doesnt adjust when the dial is moved and therefore maybe stuck on one certain setting that you dont know!

wristwatchb, Darkbulb and trey06dmd like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It's amazing what just a good cleaning can do.

Darkbulb and trey06dmd like this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great question and quite honestly I don't think I'd fully know until I actually shaved with it - all I can tell from playing around with it is that the clicks seem good and that it tightens down safely :)

Herm2502 likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I know right? If I were selling razors online I'd spend a ridiculous amount of time getting them as clean as possible before posting them - clean razors in clear photos always sell for more than gunky looking razors in fuzzy photos :)

8. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Nice clean up!

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is correct, that is why buying gunky looking razors can be such a good deal.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks sir - nice new avatar ;)

WhiskerWhacker likes this.
  11. sir_mike

Yeah, that is what I was thinking! You would have to shave with it and try a couple of settings to see! For me that could and would be dangerous! :) Just something to think about!

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet! I'm not much older, being an H2 myself.:D

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. sir_mike

Seeing that I am doing alot of thinking about these adjustables. I also seen somewhere that you should adjust it BEFORE you close the top. Did you ever hear that one? :)

14. sir_mike

Nice! I am not too far off! I think I would be a "I1". Is that right for March 1963!

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It's a practice that, as far as I can tell, started to become common these days when the razor is vintage. The idea, as far as I can tell, is by opening the doors prior to adjusting the settings you potentially put less strain on the internal mechanism. Looking at old commercials they simply adjust the razor when the doors are closed.
    It's a small price to pay just in case it does have some benefits in doing so.
    For me who pretty much just leaves my adjustables on 8 or 9 and never changes the setting it of course matters less :)

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I do. Many say you can adjust with it fully tightened down, but I'd rather not risk damaging my razor. Besides, loosening before adjusting works just the same.

My recommendations for someone new to adjustables:

Shave 1 set to 3, complete shave (ALL passes), evaluate
    Shave two set to 4, complete shave, evaluate
    Shave three set to 5, complete shave...
    Shave four set to 6...

Continue until you reach that setting that is just a tad too much. Back it down one click, there's your sweet spot.
    I keep mine locked at 6 for all 3 passes.
    Some start mild for the first pass, the crank it up for each following pass, finishing up wide open at 8 or 9.
    Some start wild and finish mild at 2 or 3.

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good work! Excellent cleanup!

19. sir_mike

Dang, am I good! LOL

Look another annoying question! So is there any post someone that would compare a setting number on these old Gillette's with say a Merkur 34C. Which number is about equal, if there is one? It could be a good starting point but if not, then I would just echo what swarden43 stated above! :)

20. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Alex Grey