Cleaned Gillette Old Type

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dscaver, Nov 1, 2014.

1. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Before

DSCN0087[2] (529x341).jpg

After a session with Never Dull

DSCN0095[1] (1024x768).jpg

Sorry for my lack skill with the camera, this photo does not do the razor justice. At first I thought the only choice I had was to have re-plated. After a little research I find out it was made in 1918 for sale to civilians.

Dave

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Oooo! That's pretty. Is that silver or nickel? My OT is just brass.

4. dscaver

I believe it is silver based on how tarnished it was.

Dave

5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Very nice Dave. I have one and I think they are silver plated. I use a little Flitz on mine and it polishes up great. It shaves me rough as I am still working on the correct angle.

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yea, my OT was hard to learn. I think that the fact that modern blades are much thinner than period blades probably plays into the rough shave.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very nice!

8. HUF

HUF Active Member

9. dscaver

@HUF

You are correct sir. Mine begins with an H making it a 1918. It is nice to have a razor older me.

Dave

10. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

My USA old tykpe starts with a K, dating it to 1919, but my Canadian Old Type ser # does not match up anywhere.

11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Razor looks good. If I may make a suggestion; Before you take polish to tarnished silver, try the baking soda dissolved in almost boiling water soak with aluminum foil at the bottom of the bowl trick. (Whew). A did this to a couple razors a few weeks ago using this method
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/index.php?threads/The-Power-of-Baking-Soda.40959/#post-735402 and had great results with minimal elbow grease or cramped fingers. No polish was used on these two razors BTW, baking soda solution and a baking soda paste only.

dscaver likes this.
  12. dscaver

@Omaney

Thanks, I will give that a try. The antique store is getting new razors in all the time

Dave

13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Man, I wish our stores here were. They've all told me they're easier to sell online so they don't keep them in the store. I keep seeing the same few overpriced (Old Type $45, for example) any time I go.

14. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Great job!

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Shiny!

16. dscaver

There are only a couple stores that carry razors at a reasonable price, l paid $15.00 for this one with case and blade box. I have only bought one razor on e-bay.

Dave

17. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Nice job, enjoy

18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I saw an Old Type for 100 dollars. It was cased and had the blade bank but that is still high priced IMO.