Cleaning a gold razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by freebird, Sep 23, 2011.

1. freebird

freebird Active Member

I picked up another Aristocrat that is in desperate need of cleaning. I've searched for info but haven't had any luck on this subject. Am thinking a hot water soak, Maas then followed with barbicide. Will this work?

2. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

When I cleaned a 40s Gold Tech I used a good quality detergent (Planisol M) a hot bath and a very long soak. The only "abrasive" I used was a toothbrush if you can call that abrasive. It was more to get in to dislodge "stuff" I couldn't reach otherwise.

That's my standard cleaning, so I can't help with the products you ask about.

Planisol M is available by the pound from the 'net ($11 last I knew). Just google it. It used to be the first or so hits were the ones folks wanted. A pound will last a very long time. You'll use a very small amount.

3. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

how is the plating on the razor and what is the nature of the stuff that need to be cleaned.? in general, if the plating and lacquer coating is intact, most would avoid using a polish for fear of removing it; if the plating is gone it doesn't then matter much. to get crud off a good or repeated soakings in hot water & detergent and then a soft toothbrush usually works. i have used scrubbing bubbles (not soaking it) also without ill effect.

4. freebird

freebird Active Member

The plating is still there. You can tell that it has seen a little use. I'll try to post a pic in the haul section tomorrow.

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

A good spray and soak with Scubbing Bubbles and then a gentle going over with a soft toothbrush and Dawn dish liquid is how I do mine. I also use a toothpick to get in those tight corners such as under the head where the "gears" are, etc. Gold plating on Gillette razors is very thin so it's a gentle process, whatever you do. Hopefully it still has the lacquer on it which will help protect the plating during cleaning.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's how I do it on all my razors. Haven't lost any plating yet.
    Make sure you post some pics when you get 'er all dolled up.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

DSCF1169 (640x335).jpg

Free
    Had I kept my Aristocrat I would have replated it gold and gone against my new rule of not spending any more money on shaving, but the uneven gold tone of the plating bothered me, for me though the Aristo's shave great and perfect heft . I have not had any luck buying and cleaning gold tone Gillettes as the good advice says, gentle cleaning only, I had a gold Tech I ruined completely improperly cleaning. Had this Old Type ? replated by Reliable and it came out well, the cost was $50. I have to think a jeweler or auto chrome shop might do it cheaper.

8. freebird

freebird Active Member

That sounds like a plan. I have to admit I have Aristocrat fever. This is another 47 I picked up on eBay for $23.
    It is missing the blade box, but came with the leather case. I'll probably send the case to the Razor Emporium for their case REVAMP service. It might be just as well to send the razor with it.

Hanzo likes this.