Cleaning a razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TuttoItaliaOnline, Nov 23, 2009.

1. TuttoItaliaOnline

TuttoItaliaOnline New Member

After about three months with my Merkur 38C, I see that there's quite a lot of chalk / calcium from the hard water on it. Waht do you use to clean such a razor without dmaging it?

2. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

A soft toothbrush (or indeed an old previously used one reserved for the purpose).

3. TuttoItaliaOnline

The way it it seems to be "stuck" at the razor, I doubt whether a toothbrush would be sufficient but I'll give it a try, thanks.

4. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

5. TuttoItaliaOnline

Thanks and thanks for the link; that pretty much covers all the ways to clean one's razor. I thought of using coke as that is always described as a good rust remover and loosener. But the dishwasher also seems right although there's no definite answer on possible damage.

6. nunogrl

nunogrl Member

one night under water with cillit bang ...
    I cleaned mine "new" old aqusitions that way (including a plastic schick injector)

good luck

7. ssilcox

ssilcox Member

Not sure if you have this locally, but "Scrubbing bubbles" and a toothbrush (a type of bathroom cleaner) always works best for me.

8. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

For European members that's an aerosol bathroom cleaner with limescale removing properties - something like Cif bathroom mousse

9. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

For calcium, white vinegar is the obvious choice, however I am not sure what effect this would have on the razor's finish.

10. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I always cleaned my razors whit vinegar and yet nothing bad whit the finish of my razors.

11. TuttoItaliaOnline

Thanks for all the advice,

I ended up with a bathroom cleaner, that was especially to remove the calcium. It worked very well, as I could easily get everything off afterwards.

Bye,

Eric

12. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I hope it wasn't CLR? :happy102

13. TuttoItaliaOnline

Hi Soda,

I'm Dutch and wouldn't know what CLR is. Yet, the razor is still fine and shines as new.

Bye,

Eric

14. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

In the United States we have a product called CLR, (Calcium, Lime and Rust) it will take just about any thing off of any service, including plating sometimes.

Whatever you used, glad it worked I was going to suggest plain tooth paste in small amounts.

15. SirWhiskers

SirWhiskers Member

Vinegar solution or borax solution works well for cleaning razors, brushes and many other household items.

16. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I usually clean my razors every Sunday. Old toothbrush and dish detergent and warm water. I was planning to use the once a week schedule to replace my blades in the beginning, but quickly learned that all blades are NOT created equally. But I still clean the razors weekly, and have very little build up and only takes a couple of minutes, tops to clean.