Cleaning Old DE Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GeneRector, Nov 19, 2011.

1. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

Howdy! I recently acquired a few old de razors and a couple of single edged safety razors. How do you clean these up to look better? Is there something you can soak them in? Your views appreciated! Always, Gene

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hi Gene, welcome aboard.​

Soak in Scrubbing Bubbles to remove common razor gunk. If tarnished or water spotted, a bit of metal polish works wonders (be careful if gold or silver plated, though). If they're twist to open razors and the action is gummy, a soak in mineral oil usually loosens them up. If not, you can try boiling all-metal razors for awhile; this can dissolve scum that inside gumming up the action. This is pretty much all I ever need do to "new" razors.​

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Reasons to use Scrubbing Bubbles:
    1 - Eats the scum right off and won't harm any finish
    B - Disinfects
    Third - Leaves a nice shine

Use a soft toothbrush for any stubborn gunk.

DO NOT BOIL GOLD RAZORS! You'll ruin the finish.

4. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I'm currently using a jar full of "LA's Simply Awesome" cleaner as a soak and disinfectant. Will not use it for plated razors however. Also, if there is a Walgreen's nearby where you live, they have (or did have, I got mine a few year's back and don't know if they still carry it) a brand of metal polish called "Haggerty's 100" metal polish which works quite nicely, but will take plating off so be careful.

5. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! Thanks for the information guys!
    Always, Gene

6. sas71

sas71 Member

dont quote me but i think Simply Green will work also and wont hurt the finish.