Cleaning Old Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have used an old tooth brush to clean my newly acquired razors. I have been using a Sonic battery operated Spinbrush for my oral hygiene for years and just replacing the heads. Well I decided to just get a new Spinbrush, so, I used my old Spinbrush to clean my new fatboy. I even used a little tooth paste. It was really a lot easier than trying to clean it with a manual toothbrush. It worked very well.

I used to spray with Scrubbing Bubbles and then manually brush. It was a little awkward, but it got the job done. The Spinbrush is so much easier to use. I actually brushed it with toothpaste first, and then I sprayed it down with Scrubbing Bubbles. Got my fatboy sparkling clean in no time.

Now I have a dedicated power toothbrush that I will use for all my razor cleanings.

fat_boy_e2_06.JPG

Bobcat, Slow Joe, Tattoobob and 4 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very clean! Congrats..

3. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

Beautiful! Do you have a before picture so we can compare it?

4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Jim
    That really looks great. As Sean asked do you have a before and an after picture. By the way I'm jealous I been looking for one of those for months is it a 195?

5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    fat_boy_e2_01.JPG
    This is what it looked like before cleaning. They are all pictures I took off of eBay. It wasn't grungy, but it did need a good cleaning to restore the shine. I am really happy with the way it cleaned up. It restored much of the shine.
    fat_boy_e2_00.JPG

This is it cleaned and shined.
    DSCF6723sb.jpg
    DSCF6722sb.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    HolyRollah, PatrickA51 and ObiDon like this.
  6. PatrickA51

:signs154:
    If you want to throw it away my Birthday is in two weeks. I will gladly take it.:smiley respect::shocked029:

John Beeman likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It's been a long time coming, and I am enjoying shaving with it too much.

It is kind of funny how I got it. For about a year I have been trying to find one in the wild, and I would try to get one in auction from time to time, but I had money constraints. Last month, I decided to put a watch on all the fatboys and see how they played out. They seemed to go for at least $60 to over $100. Totally out of my range. Well, I decided to jump in on about four of them at once. I put a maximum of $50 on each. I figured if I were to win them all, I could keep the best and auction off the rest. I would just have a time explaining it to SWMBO. Fortunately, only one of them panned out. I am very happy with the one I got, and I did not break the bank.

8. PatrickA51

Jim
    What is the ID on it and is it a 195?

9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
  10. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Good job, that is a nice looking razor!

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you. I was just hoping for one that was useable, but I was blessed with much more.

12. boxerman

boxerman Active Member

Look mom no cavities:D:rofl: Sure looks nice.:happy088:

Jayaruh likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Very nice, Jim! Same vintage as the one I owned (my birth year razor).
    Enjoy! :happy088:

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Great razor, and a good idea for cleaning the brush. Might have to try it myself.

Jayaruh likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
  16. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thanks, but sadly Walmart has failed to make its way to Denmark.

17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Oh, man, I'm so sorry.

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

No need to apologize.
    Some are downright thankful Walmart hasn't infiltrated their home towns... or countries.;)

burnout961 likes this.
  19. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I got my slim by chance on the Bay. I really didn't plan on winning it. The prices on slims have really seemed to drop a bit since I last looked...

Jayaruh likes this.
  20. That's great. I use a cheap toothbrush and lightly scrub it, I will have to get a spinbrush to clean razors with.