Cleaning safety razor with Scrubbing Bubbles question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Alex7, Jun 10, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have always heard that vinegar had a million uses...looks like a million and one now.

RaZorBurn123, gorgo2 and twhite like this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I flip the blade because I believe that the bevel that is exposed to your face is gets grooved by your hair and skin, while the other side is not. I don't know if it works or not (and I don't really care). Seems to work with razor blade scrapers, so I flip the blade in my razors also. Seems like that might be why they created a blade with two edges; because when one edge gets dull, you have another edge. In my case, it was originally an exercise to get more life out of a blade, but I don't use any blade more that about 3 - 4 times any longer, so, it's probably overkill. But, who cares. I do it because I'm anal about it and because it's my shave. It makes me feel better and I don't mind flipping the blade. If you don't, then don't. It's like, you know; dark roast/city roast, dairy/soy, oil change at 2500/7500, McEnroe/Borg, Yankees/any other team. :)

And, for the newbies... keep working on your shave, you will find what works. When you do, keep doing what you are doing. Even if it means flipping the blade between shaves. There are lots of great suggestions here. Try them and see if it helps or hurts. And, just enjoy it once you figure it out.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

I also flip the blade after each shave. If it didn't matter, why would most blade manufacturers mark each side of the blade with a number?

[​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That has to do with manufacturing. They have to keep up with that when grinding...at least that is what I have been told.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very well put!!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

*blink*. Well, if the Merkur video is to be believed, that's absolute nonsense. It's probably a batch reference or something else.

About 2:10 in, it shows them being on a continuous ribbon (still) and being ground. (the later they soak them in 'organic oil'.... I guess that's so the blades can end up smelling bad after a year or so as the oil rots?)

Flipping the blade - I _don't_ do it on my 3 piece. I open up and remove the blade from my TTO's after each shave, to clean both, and dropping it in upside down takes no additional effort. (I suspect that the real benefit of flipping the blade is far beyond the point that most of us use a blade. I don't think I've ever used a blade more than 12-14 times)

Oh -if you want to listen to a female narrator for the SAME video -

RaZorBurn123, Karl G and McHale like this.
  7. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

That's always been a random theory by a random guy where a bunch of people said "Oh yah, that makes sense."

Terry Williams and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs011:

9. RaZorBurn123

I totally respect everyone's way of doing things, from stropping to flipping a blade.
    I just learned about vinegar and all of its uses.
    But the coolest thing is... EVERYONE is respectful here at TSD. :shaver

10. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I used to be a flipper. In my own mind it made a difference, but after a blood letting incident I no longer flip. I have also settled on Derby blades so the cost benefit doesn't warrant more blood letting.

So what I'm getting at is "It's your shave. What ever works for you."

Sent from my phone using some app

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep! No acetic personalities here.

RaZorBurn123 and Terry Williams like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

i use it on new to me razors to help sanitize them.i rinse my razor every time after use.i give all my razors and brushes a good cleaning once a month for maintenance as i generally use a different razor every shave.

13. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Back to the original topic, I use scrubbing bubbles on "new to me" razors. My daily razor is a 3 piece and I take it apart, rinse, towel dry, air dry each piece (including the blade) after every use. Once everything is bone dry, it gets reassembled loosely and sits that way until next use.

brit and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

Yeah, we at TSD tend to weave in and out of the OP.
    I believe that's what makes us cool. :cool:

McHale and gorgo2 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

So how about that Lum & Abner?

mrchick likes this.
  16. Bookworm

Are they supposed to win the World Series this year?

mrchick likes this.
  17. Bookworm

For me, I haven't had good luck with Scrubbing Bubbles as a cleaner on the razors. Sink, yes, disinfectant, probably, but not on the razors.

18. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Croma! Yeah, I've got some. But I digress...

I've got a good candidate for some Scrubbin' Bubbles for when I get back from vacation next month...this, coming in the mail soon...
    [​IMG]

This is the worst of it. The doors have no flea bites or brassing, and just a little green on the handle. It'll clean up nicely, I'll wager.

AGHisBBS and twhite like this.
  19. Bookworm

I'll be seeing what I can do with these in a few days, if the post office doesn't also lose them.
    rustycrusty.jpg

20. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Wow. You got your work cut out for you on those. Good luck!