Cleaning vintage razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by offroad64, Aug 18, 2013.

1. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

How do you guys do it. I see before and after pics. They all seem to come out looking like new. I try what i have seen and read an mine comes out clean but no shine. I just picked up my birth year gillette a J3 adjustable. This is a pic from the original listing it was in good shape but how do I get it to sparkle?

Attached Files:

2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

You can use a non-abrasive metal polish. I like mixing some Borax in water and soaking the razor for a couple hours. When it is done soaking rinse with cold water. It will shine it up pretty well.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I drop my razor in a plastic container and soak it in bathroom cleaner (or scrubbing bubbles foaming cleaner) and let it soak for about 30 minutes. Twist the action while its still submerged to loosen any internal goop as well. Then rinse in warm water and scrub it with an old soft toothbrush. It's worked well for all of mine thus far.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

or..........Boiling water-Scrubbing Bubbles-Nylon Brush-Dry-Apply Flitz-Microfiber Cloth Buff-Scrubbing Bubbles-Rinse-Dry-Final Microfiber Buff.

Before

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

feeltheburn likes this.
  5. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

A felt buffing wheel on a dremel at low can be helpful too, as long as you're careful and don't overdo it (too much will rub the platting right off).

6. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

First i put my vintage razor in a cup with very very hot water together with a little bit of dish liquid.After that i put it into my Ultra sonic cleaning "thing" for 2 passes.After that i take a very soft tooth brush and brush my razor...

At the end,a shower with very hot water and a splash of aftershave to desinfect.

Simple as that.:)

7. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

I use my toothbrush and toothpaste, except on the polished head surface. If it's good enough for my teeth, the mild abrasives will keep the internals of my razor like new.

8. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just use Scrubbing Bubbles once a week to clean. I do the above to restore........

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Depending on how severe the 'grime' dictates how aggressive the cleaning. For most older nickel-plated** razors, a good soak in hot water with a dab of oxy-detergent, plus an old toothbrush should suffice. For more extensive soap-scum & gunk, Scrubbing Bubbles™ applied and allowed to soak, followed by a good brushing, does a very consistent job of grime removal. Once cleaned & dried, a dab of a quality metal polish (such as Maas) buffed with a soft cloth will restore most razors with a nice luster.
    **Gold & silver plating may require different cleaning methods.

Some before & after razors; most were done using the Scrubbing Bubbles method, followed by some metal polish buffed out with a soft microfiber cloth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This New required a 'bit' more TLC & cleaning...
    [​IMG]

ChiefShaver likes this.
  10. Lakebound

Lakebound Well-Known Member

I give all razors a soak in Simple Green and warm water and then scrub with an old tooth brush.

Frank

11. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

dishsoap and water with a toothbrush, then scrubbing bubbles, then Flitz or Simichrome with a microfiber cloth.

Works wonders.

12. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Rhodium Plating.

13. offroad64

This is my new Gillette I picked up from a flea market for $3.00. I don't have any before pics with me but this is the result of a little time with some Never-Dull and a microfiber cloth. When I got it it was so gooped up I had no idea what it was. Now i'm the proud owner of a 1920 Canadian Gillette eh. :rofl: There is no cracking in the barrel. Thanks for all the ideas for my other Gillette you guys and gals are fantastic.:happy093:

Attached Files:

jabberwock and swarden43 like this.
  14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

It looks great. I would still disinfect it with Scrubbing Bubbles, alcohol, boiling water........one of them.

Congrats!!

15. offroad64

Cleaning came after disinfecting. It looked like The Creature from the Black Lagoon no way was it going near my face.

16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

LOL! Nice job!

17. offroad64

Here is the before

Attached Files: