Clubman Pinaud Shave Soap any good?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tim Spencer, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I just noticed online that there is a Clubman Pinaud Shave Soap. I haven't heard anything about it. Anyone try it?

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Paul Turner like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

There is a tub in the soap pass-around that's going on. @PickledNorthern donated it for the cause. I think @Paul Turner has used the Clubman soap. It smelled good but I haven't used it to shave with yet.

RyX likes this.
  3. Tim Spencer

I have already tested and it seems like Clubman is a good aftershave to pair with Chanel's Pour Monsieur EDP cologne. So the soap might be a decent one to use for the shave. I've used WSP's Barbershop soap with Clubman Pinaud aftershave and Pour Monsieur and that seemed to work out well as an old-school classic combination but I also want some variety and ability to mix and match awesome combinations.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    PLAla likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hi @Tim Spencer , Perry is correct-I ordered it once. I haven't decided whether to order it again or try their "no-brush-needed" soap. I found that I couldn't get many shaves from, the shave soap, as it is just a 2 oz. puck. Maybe I am partly top blame, as I was still trying to get used to brushes at the time, but I just wasn't 100% satisfied. As I recall, it was more of a vanilla scent than that of regular Clubman, so I wrote in here that they should call it just that-Clubman Vanilla Shave Soap(but they don't). It provides for a nice slick feel on the face and neck, and smells...well, like Clubman, but besides those positives, I'd like to see them make it 3 or 4 oz., and add "Vanilla" to its name.

RyX likes this.
  5. Tim Spencer

Thanks for the feedback on it. Hmm. The WSP Barbershop one is working well, so I have at least one combo with good mojo working. I can't even find an ingredients list on the Clubman Pinaud shave soap. Weird.

Paul Turner likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I like to mix barbershop fragrances as well, as I do with Stirling Barbershop soap/Clubman Original Scent A.S.

PLAla and RyX like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    We all need to petition Rod and Amanda at Stirling to bring back their Clubman scent. I have a tub and it is a dead ringer for the AS, not to mention that it's a Stirling soap...Boom! :kar: Funnily enough, my den's only Stirling exemplar.

Just emailed Rod and made the suggestion of a limited run of the Clubman. If 100 people did the same, he might just do it. You never know...:signs002:

PLAla, RyX, crackstar and 1 other person like this.
  8. Tim Spencer

I have been going through Kevin of Country Club for Men and Chris of Catie's Bubbles to make custom soaps. I have already asked Rod, but Stirling only makes tallow-based and that sometimes breaks out my skin (it's hit and miss), so I very rarely ever use tallow. I have an old vintage tallow-based Shulton Old Spice shave soap that gives a top-notch post-shave feel, and hasn't broke me out the two times I used it so far (just got lucky though). I'm wondering if they are able to do a Clubman scent? I would love if someone did a classic Pour Monsieur scented soap. THAT would be such an unexpected rarity to own. If Stirling offered it I would still get it, but would have to use it only on rare occasion to avoid breakouts.

That's an idea. We should do a thread on what scents you would want in a soap. It could be cologne or anything you want. I'm sure the vendors would read that one and get some ideas.

RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I liked the Clubman soap sample I grabbed from the traveling soap box so much that I bought a puck.

The soap is very moisturizing and quite easy to lather. The pea size sample I had exploded into lather in my scuttle. Easily enough for three/four passes, even though I only grab two passes per shave.

I think the scent is more on the Brut side than the Clubman side.

crackstar likes this.
  10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I believe you're right about the scent. Clubman and Brut seem to smell very similar.

stingraysrock likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

There is a thread about making custom scented shave soap. It's about a specific brand but I thing any soap would do.
    The short story is
    • grate the soap
    • let the existing scent out
    • add new scent
    • form a puck

12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have the Clubman soap, found some locally for around $6 or so. If I had to pay for shipping I may just pass.

Although, the scent is more like Vanilla Clubman than the original. A light but pleasant scent.

Performance is not bad at all and is not a top tier soap, but it whips up a lather quite quickly.

Paul Turner likes this.