Coarse beard

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Omelmad, May 1, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

You think? I think I read that the whiskers and skin absorbes some of the oils and softens up additionally

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've tried pre-shave oil and it just didn't seem to do anything for me. I know some guys like it though so my recommendation would be to try using it for about a week, then try not using it for about a week and see which way you like better.

3. Omelmad

I actually got a pretty good shave come to think about it =P even though I struggled a bit on the chin. I only shaved WTG so I didn't get the closest shave BUT it was an irritation free shave =D

BigMark likes this.
  4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I have no idea if this works but I am going to try Face Lathering for my next shave. I have Auburn facial hair so I know what it is like to have coarse facial hair my friend. I will keep you updated.

5. Omelmad

What does auburn mean? I had to translate, and the translated Word feels a little out of context =P

6. BigMark

Auburn is a shade of red hair, The easiest explanation is Reddish-Brown.

7. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Use a conditioner in the shower, leave it on for at least two minutes, and not what feels like two minutes. In the shower what you think is two minutes usually works out to be 45 seconds or so. Time it. And the important part, use a moisturizing conditioner.

Omelmad likes this.
  8. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

What does the color of hair have to do with beard courseness?

Omelmad likes this.
  9. BigMark

Red facial hair is coarser. At least that is what my Barber told me and the guy has been cuting hair and giving shaves for a long time.

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the R89 and a coarse beard. You either will not get close enough or you'll get irritation trying to get there. Its a losing battle you're fighting.

What you read about shaving on the forums is from men with normal to light beards. What works for them won't work for you therefore their recommendations have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Omelmad likes this.
  11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Hanzo a bit here. An aggressive razor's main advantage is that it allows the blade to contact the skin at a wide range of angles but I can't see how that's a big advantage with a tough beard. Shallow blade angles cut tough whiskers easier and mild razors force you to use a shallow angle. No problem there.

I think the thing that gives mild razors a reputation for not being close shavers is that they only work in a narrow range of angles. So in a way they actually demand better technique (at least with respect to blade angle control) to get good results. The R89 still allows the blade to touch the skin so if you develop good technique that keeps the blade angle correct, you can get a good shave with it.

If you go a few days between shaves, a more aggressive razor will take that growth off a lot easier. But if you shave daily I don't think whisker length gets to be much of a factor.

12. BigMark

I have to agree with the part about the mild razor. I have noticed firsthand that a mild razor forces you to perfect your technique but the plus side is instead of getting nicked or cut you will simply not remove any hair. I can tell you though that a Mild razor with correct technique will give you just as a good shave. I only have 3 shaves so far with my Tech and I am already getting it fine tuned, granted I have been Wet-shaving for only 6-7 months now. I just wish I had purchased this razor earlier.

Omelmad and feeltheburn like this.
  13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I hope you like it. Sinced switching to it a few years ago, it's made a huge diff. in my shave experinece.

BigMark and Omelmad like this.
  14. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I applaud your willingness to stay with your R89 Omelmad. It's a fine razor, tough beard or not.
    With the right blade, good preparation, and good technique it will give you an excellent shave.
    I'm not a fan of oils or conditioners, but if you find something that helps you, then by all means stay with it.
    My only suggestion would be for you to work your lather in well for at least one minute.
    My chin isn't terribly difficult to shave, but I often leave it until last.
    My first pass is straight down. The second is not quite across the grain, more upper left to lower right
    and upper right to lower left. (chevron pattern?) I don't do an against the grain pass because I've not needed to.
    Be sure to try all the blades in your sampler. I'm sure you will find at least one that works very well for you.

Omelmad and feeltheburn like this.
  15. Omelmad

I think for me its the opposite. My 10 minute shave is about 30 minutes. And thanks, my girlfriend has some from yves rocher with oils and stuff=P

16. Omelmad

I see that like everything else about shaving there is mixed feelings about this. And I appreciate all the different perspectives =)

As I typed once before in this thread, I don't wanna blame everything on the razor or the blade or the shave soap/cream =)

I did do what I think is a good prep. But I can do it better. And also still on the learning curve, I can blame it on technique. I think I mentioned that the Astra did a better job.

I do have medium-coarse stubble, maybe not the coarsest here. But on the chin it's noticeably coarser than in the cheeks(I wonder why, hmm)

I'm gonna stick with the Muhle r89 and work on my technique and try the different pre shave preparation advice =) if I still have trouble lather on when my technique is as good as you guys, then I might try a different razor(maybe r41, to be a bit consistent =P)

But I don't wanna collect razors(only soaps) =D

17. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Omar, relax. I too have that very coarse chin beard. With time and experience you'll learn to shave it like any other part of the face. The R89 with a good blade (try Viking's Sword!) will chop it with ease, but it'll always feel like those wiskers are more stiff than the others.

Small strokes and careful eye on the angle is the key.

18. Omelmad

I wanted some advice on how to approach this. I ended up doing small strokes actually =P it's cool that we sometimes do stuff that is "right" just by ourselves, without knowing what's right before

19. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Omar, did you try the hot towel treatment? I get the best shaves when I do it.

20. Omelmad

I feel that if I shower before I don't really need it, but I'm gonna try some of the advice above and maybe try the towel treatment with lather on the beard =)

I need to experiment a bit to find what works best for me, and I hope my corn huskers arrive safely I hear its good as pre shave treatment