Cocktails !!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by rick, Feb 8, 2007.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Yeah, I think my bottle is almost a year old and it still tastes fine to me.

OTOH,

Vermouths to try:
    Carpano Antica
    and
    Vya

Manhattans are really about the vermouth, IMO.
    Good quality rye is important but the vermouth makes or breaks the cocktail.

2. OldAF

OldAF New Member

I doubt that will happen. I draw the line at the Vermouth costing more than the Rye. :D

Although I admit I accept no substitutes for Noilly Prat in a Martini.

3. OldAF

OldAF New Member

Almost perfect. I like to save my Grand Marnier for a snifter in front of the fire so I would sub Cointreau.
    Record highs predicted today. I intend to enjoy a couple of these.

Oh no! I made a terrible error so I have to edit this. I failed to notice that the recommendation here was for Cuervo tequila. I can't believe I missed that, I hate Cuervo which is typically a mixto.
    Tequila is made from the Agave plant and any decent tequila is 100% Agave and will state it on the label. All others are mixtos, 51% Agave and lord knows what else. A good quality but inexpensive, 100% agave brand is Lunazul. Any brand that is 100% agave will be decent. That is the key.

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Ill go 1 step further..................
    try Orange Curacao instead of the GM or Cointreau.
    Just sayin.
    I love Margaritas but I like em cheap.
    No need to waste quality booze when ya dont have to.

Tequila (cheaper the better)
    Frozen Limeade
    Orange Curacao
    Simple Syrup (to taste)
    Shaken and strained into a bucket of rocks.
    Thats that.

5. OldAF

OldAF New Member

I can't find Barritt's Ginger beer locally so sadly, I have never had a Dark and Stormy. However, through heroic self-sacrifice in trying numerous combinations of Ginger Beer and Rum :eatdrink013 I came up with one I like a lot.

Sioux City Ginger Beer and Cruzan Blackstrap Rum

Certainly not for everyone, but the molasses-flavored rum and sweetness and bite of the ginger beer are perfect for my taste.

6. Philthy Bastard

Philthy Bastard New Member

Just need to add one more to the list, King Eider from Duckhorn out of California. It is a very complex and aromatic dry vermouth. However, I must concur, Noilly Pratt is the absolute best when the clock strikes Martini Time. Olives or lemon twist, gents?

7. OldAF

OldAF New Member

Olives please. Three regular or one stuffed.

8. Jaeger

Jaeger Member

I love Dark 'n' Stormy; you can buy it premixed here: Bundaberg (Bundy) ginger beer and rum. A good ginger beer is the key - finding one is harder than finding a good dark rum. (Dry Ginger Ale isn't a substitute; if that's all you have, make some rum, dry & lime instead.)

I once tried a cocktail called a "Ringtail's Revenge" many years ago at O'Reillys Green Mountain (Lamington National Park) in Queensland. From memory, it was Creme de Cacao, Baileys, "ginger liqueur" and cream. I tried making it using Stone's Green Ginger Wine, but the cream curdled... :confused:

9. loborx

loborx New Member

Well the sun is sinking on the West coast so it's cocktail time!

This is my take on a recipe I found in a British cocktail recipe book from my personal library. The cocktail is based off a drink called Maiden's Blush. The recipe was developed in the mid 1920's at the Savoy Hotel in London. I took a few liberties with it and came up with this variation:

Iron Maiden's Blush
    2oz Bombay Sapphire Gin ( I keep my gin in the freezer so it's always ice cold)
    1oz Diable Vert Absinthe (a Spanish absinthe)
    A dash of Rose's Grenadine (for color)

Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add ingredients. Shake till the shaker is too cold to hold.
    Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Drink slowly and feel your face go numb.

10. aberneth

aberneth Member

[​IMG]

:signs108

Really though,

The vesper is about as refined as a martini gets. Anybody who likes a citrusy gin will enjoy Bond's twist.

11. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

Jonnie Black Manhattan, double the vermouth half the rocks.

My favorite. There was a piano bar in our town, little known and in the middle of a bunch of trash bars. It was in the basement of a elegant restaurant. I would sit down and the gentleman playing the piano, Stu, would finish whatever song he was playing early call across the room to me and ask me what I want to hear. I'd reply every time "You know exactly what Stu" He laugh and say "Black Coffee it is" I'd look down at the table or the bar where I was sitting and before I could even say something a Jonnie Black Manhattan Double the vermouth and half the rocks would appear before me. It was something special the service, recognition, and respect I got there. Even though I was almost alway the youngest person in the room by about 15 years. It felt like I was in a completely different time when I was there. I'm glad I got to experience a place like that, because I'm sure they are a dieing breed.
    Now the ownership has changed and my favorite place is gone. And I can't find anyone near me that knows how to make great Scotch Manhattan.

C. S. Budzi

12. BenH

BenH New Member

The Classic G&T

Not sure how many Gin fans there are and where ya'll are from but I have found the perfect Gin & Tonic

Tumbler Glass
    Add Ingredients in this order.
    1 Lime Wedge
    3-4 Ice Cubes (Depending on size
    Pour 2 ounce BULLDOG Gin over Ice
    Fill to top with DIET Tonic Water (I recommend Walmart Brand)

No lie. I discovered "Great Value" brand Diet Tonic in a late-night pinch when they were sold out of regular tonic. I NEVER drink Diet soda (manly man?)

The Diet Tonic has less of a "tonic" taste to it so when mixed (with good gin) its super smooth. If you're drinking rotgut I'd suggest the most flavorfull tonic you can to bury the taste

*** Most importantly... Bulldog Gin is the best Gin i have tried to date. I even prefer it over Hendricks. And at about 1% cheaper, its easier on the wallet. If its not available near you I;d go with Hendricks or New Amsterdam

13. Bois de Pommy Rose

SWMBO ordered this from the Specialty Cocktail menu at Il Fornaio and loved it, Loved It, LOVED IT. So I set to work reverse engineering the recipe (the ingredients, but not the proportions, were printed on the menu).

My result below is pretty much an Exact duplicate and a pretty damn good cocktail. SWMBO was right.

Bois de Pommy Rose

2 ounces Gin
    1 ounce pomegranate juice
    (3/4) ounce St Germain (elderflower liqueur)
    (1/2) ounce Aperol liqueur
    (1/2) ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
    (1/4) ounce simple syrup
    club soda

Fill a cocktail shaker 2/3rds full of ice.
    Add all ingredients except club soda; shake.
    Strain into an ice filled double old fashioned glass.
    Top off with approx 2 ounces club soda. Stir briefly, serve.

14. voice940

voice940 Member

Whatever, Ginny!

Finally, the Gin lovers come out of the woodwork!
    The previous gin and tonic sounds mighty tasty. I've always been a fan of Tom Collins (although I rarely order it when I'm out... I usually get a response like "Oh, yeah... my mother/grandmother used to LOVE those!" and I felt a little less manly. Thank God Jack (Meet the Parents, played by Robert DeNiro) helps me feel a little better about drinking it. :rolleyes:

Depending on whether or not I'm feeling lazy, I grab the HOLLAND HOUSE brand collins mix, club soda and Hendricks Gin... or if I'm up to making a REAL treat,

2oz Hendricks or Seagram's Lime Twisted Gin
    1oz Lemon Juice
    3oz Club Soda
    Bar Syrup to taste
    A Maraschino Cherry and Orange Twist

15. excalibur5

excalibur5 Member

Suprised I haven't seen this one yet..

Hot Buttered Rum - Perfect when you come in from the cold (which we seem to have no shortage of this year).

Batter Basic Recipie:
    1 pound butter (NEEDS TO BE REAL BUTTER HERE)
    1 pound brown sugar
    1 pound confectioners' sugar
    1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened (A GOOD RICH ONE)
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Remove from heat and add remainder of ingredients. Pour mixture into a plastic container and store in freezer.

To make it: Add 1-2 tablespoons of batter to a coffee mug. Add 1 ounce (or more, if you wish) of a good quality rum you enjoy and top off the mug with boiling water. Stir and enjoy. This is a staple for hunting trips.

Kids like it too, just omit the rum. :rolleyes:

16. NoahG

NoahG Member

Rangpur G&T

Don't have the exact measurements, but I'm about to make a Gin and tonic with the Tanqeray Rangpur Lime, Tonic of course, lots of lime an d zest, and just because, a wedge or two of pink grapefruit i have in the fridge.

17. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Sun drop and parrot bay Rum

Sun drop which for a very long time was kept a closely guarded secret to a few southern locals until recently. and Parrot bay rum. In any ratio as long as your happy with it.

Makes for a wonderful combo and its easy on the women folks. It awesome in the summer as a alternative to heavy syrup margarita or daquiri mix.

I also am a firm believer that sun drop mixes well with most any beverage except for tequila and jagermeister.

18. Antanque

Antanque New Member

What a great forum! Shaving and cocktails! Awesome! :cool:

My fav top 3 cocktails are...

Old Fashioned (with rye whiskey)
    Gibson Martini (Tanqueray please!)
    Pink gin (Neat gin + angostura bitters - surprisingly addictive!)

19. Antanque

Antanque New Member

Oh, and this is one I invented myself and am quite proud of

The Devil's Whiskers
    2 parts brown rum
    1 part lemon juice
    Chinotto

Fill an old fashioned glass with ice, stir rum and lime then top up with chinotto. Delish!

20. ubermick

ubermick Member

My idea of a great cocktail, although it takes a long time to make...

17.0 lb American 2-row
    1.0 lb Cara-Pils® Malt
    1.0 lb Crystal Malt 60°L
    1.0 lb White Wheat Malt

Grind the above and soak in 6.66 gallons of 152 degree water for an hour. Drain the liquid, and slowly rinse the grains with another 8.5. gallons of 168 degree water.

Collect the approximately 13 gallons of liquid, and boil vigorously for about an hour. During the boil add...

1.75 oz Citra Hops when the boil starts
    2.0 oz Cascade Hops, 50 minutes after the Citra
    1.0 oz Cascade Hops, 5 minutes later.

Boil for five minutes more, chill down to 68 degrees, pour into a sterilized 12 gallon container, add plenty of American Ale yeast, and wait 3 weeks...

Voila - you just made about 10 gallons of fantastic pale ale! :D