Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Corvn, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Corvn

Corvn Member

I know it might seem weird but has anyone ever tried straight cocunut oil as preshave? You know the kind that they usually sell in the cooking isle at the store. My wife uses this stuff religiously and swears by it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Billyfergie and Carbide Mike like this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I've used the oil for pre, post and the shave itself. Right now it's an aftershave..like it...

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

I've tried it as a preshave oil I didn't notice any benefits from it. I liked it better as a post shave. Of course YMMV .

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I always keep coconut oil around. Great for my face as a post shave application and on other dry skin areas in the winter time. Also works great in small amounts as a hair dressing. Plus you can eat it. Can't say much bad about it.

Carbide Mike, ohbrian and Robyflexx like this.
  5. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Yup that's about the best multipurpose product you can buy. I don't do pre-shave but I use it for everything else.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The only oil for oiling my corn bread skillet!

Carbide Mike and ohbrian like this.
  7. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Makes good popcorn too.

8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I use it everyday as a post shave. I make a balm...50/50 shea butter and coconut oil.

Carbide Mike and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

I use it post shave also. Seems to do very well. I noticed after my shave the other day that I had several small spots bleeding on my lip, due to my own fault. After applying the coconut oil it seemed to really help the bleeding to stop.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My wife uses it in her hair. I think that's what she does? I've never used it in shaving, but I'm open to it.

11. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

My wife also likes to use it to spike up our son's hair. It holds really well but washes out easily.

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

We use it for cooking.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

We do too. It takes a lot of heat without smoking.

Billyfergie, DaltonGang and Robyflexx like this.
  14. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I did some testing with coconut oil. Sara-s started an epic thread on pre-shave oil recipes where I have a longer post. But my "best glide" recommendation was 6 parts coconut oil, 4 parts castor oil, 3 parts grapeseed oil and 3 parts olive oil. I did do all-coconut, but I think my skin needs the other oils. Also, the consistency of the coconut oil changes with the weather, so mixing it with other oils to keep it liquid is a nice convenience.

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Use Coconut Oil as a Pre Shave Quite a Lot..You Don't Need Much Once its Melted in the Hand..I Apply it to My Beard After Prep with Hot Water..I Continue the Prep with Hot Water & it Thins it Down & Gets it Right into the Core of My Hard Whiskers & it Removes any Excess Oil that May Grease Up the Skin Post Shave Wise..Use Too Much & it will Leave the Skin Oily..:D

Billy..:chores016:

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's possible to wash hair with a concoction of mostly coconut oil and salt. My wife does a version of this occasionally.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I use it on dry skin sometimes. My girlfriend uses it in her hair. She has curly hair and its prone to dryness. She puts it in her hair snd sleeps with a showercap every now and then.

I want to try using it as an aftershave, but the scent is a bit to strong

RaZorBurn123 likes this.