Coffee newbie in need of help!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Latherman87, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Ok guys....long story short I want to become a coffee drinker it smells sooooo good when its around me....but honestly iv never tried it and I hear I probably wont enjoy it...but im not going to take their word for it.....I figure a man who can enjoy a nice old school shave would also have the affinity for a good cup of joe to go hand in hand with the shave.....with that said.....with me being new to coffee what are a few types or flavors I should try? I hear cheap coffee is just gross so maybe a bit higher end of a coffee but not expensive if that makes sense....if i tryit for my first time I want it to be a GOOD quality cup of joe....so what do you guys reccomend? I can tell you I love the flavor things at the gas station that are "irish cream"...if anyone knows a good pair for that hit me up...im all ears. I know its strange someone asking about this but hey...what are forums for?! And i Know everyone has different takes on everything im just curious as to what kinda start I should get on this coffee thing.....thanks guys!

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    To start, buy a cup of coffee from a restaurant.

I really like McDonald's coffee. When it is fresh, of course.

Starbucks is my second choice, but mostly cuz I don't like any of the other quick coffee fixes I can get here. If I were in Washington state that would be different, and you'd never see me in a Starbucks.

At home, Maxwell House meets my needs. I can't see spending a lot of money on coffee. I'm sure it's sort of like shaving; it's all in the experience you're looking for.

Just my own view of course.

alpla444 likes this.
  3. Latherman87

Well said JoAnna! Thank you for your input....ima really picky person when it comes to things I eat or drink so im not sure how to go about this.....Im wondering if I try a coffee and dont like it if I will even like any others....perhaps im looking too deep into it but I am very picky like I said and im afraid I might ruin the taste iv always imagined....everytime I smelt coffee if that makes sense lol Iv been to washington and about tried some while waiting at a tattoo shop but I veared away from it because Ima flighty person about "new" things lol...I guess I need to suck it up and just try the next cup that becomes available to me.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

COFFEE DOES NOT TASTE EXACTLY THE SAME WAY IT SMELLS. Especially if you add cream and/or sugar.
    Not all coffees are created equal. Just like our soaps, creams, brushes, etc., there are a ton of different ones to try.
    I say all that to say - Don't be put off by the first cup you try. Keep trying from different places when you're out: Starbucks, McD's, Dunkin Donuts, Wawa.
    Most grocery stores have a "gourmet" section of whole bean coffees and the grinder sitting right next to it.
    Most malls have a shop set up that is just for coffees.

Have fun!

Queen of Blades likes this.
  5. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Only one word about coffee... Peet's!

It's a coffee company in Berkeley.
    The guy that started Starbuck's learned from Peet's.
    Peet's is not over roasted so it's not a "fufu" drink coffee.
    It's good strong flavorful coffee.

We are Peetniks and have it shipped to use every few weeks.
    It's that good.
    Of course that's my opinion... try it... you might like it. ;)

gregindallas likes this.
  6. Latherman87

Thanks you guys!! Im gettin braver with every post lol!

7. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

My favorite cup to pick up quick is Dunkin. I'm not a black coffee guy at all. I can drink it that way, I just dot enjoy it. Now put some good cream in a cup & now we're talking. I'm not a big Starbucks fan unless I'm getting something with a ton of sugar & other flavorings. Start with what you can get locally & begin to learn what you do & don't like.

Latherman87 likes this.
  8. Latherman87

Well I live in Oklahoma and Dunkin Donuts are very few and far between here......we have krispy kremes.....paradise donuts and daylight donuts.....the dunkin coffee has always sounded good as almost everyone who drinks it says its amazing....wish i could be by a dunkin to try it.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Dunkins coffee is available at stores like Wal-Mart and such.
    But I wouldn't buy a coffee maker and accessories until you have tried coffee.

I didn't care for Dunkins coffee myself.

10. Latherman87

Oh yea I wasnt gonna go overboard and buy all the stuff lol until i found one i liked ! If any

11. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I'm a big fan if intelligentsia's house blend.

Weishi Warrior likes this.
  12. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Well Brett, I tell ya .. my Daddy drank two pots of coffee for years when I was growing up and it was always the red Folgers can. I LOVED the stuff. Whether I added cream and sugar or drank it the way he did, it was always good. It was just comforting, waking up to the smell of coffee brewing in the percolator on our plot of land in Sand Springs, OK ... just waiting for the opportunity to slop the hogs and get on with the day ....

Today .. different! I manage a business! I have to get UP, go to work and just do it ... and my Keurig makes it happen for me. I have experimented with many different flavors, strengths, and brews .. and it really just comes down to what you want to taste on your tongue at the moment.

Some days I want a milder, sweeter coffee .. others a more robust, in your face "It's time to WAKE UP" experience ...

All in all, coffee is an elixir ... what you do with it is up to you! ;)

13. Latherman87

That coffee machine you speak of was mentioned by my wife earlier tonight...she asked if she should get me one.....i hear they are good but ima wait on the machine even tho we would get an awesome deal since shes a manager at a store that sales em.... gotta wait to see of i like coffee lol

14. qwkdtsn

qwkdtsn Member

Coffee is something of an acquired taste, especially black. There are certain methods of preparation that can make black coffee taste great but I've always been a cream and sugar kind of guy. I would say the easiest 'good' way to get started at home would be a French press.

15. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

I hear you on waiting. I waited two years to purchase the Keurig, just in case it was a fad.

16. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I would almost concur....may want to go to a few places that you know make great coffee, try a range of different things, and determine what you like, then go for the french press. I got my french press first, and even though I liked it from the start, it took me awhile to learn what I really liked.
    It definitely can work out starting that way, but I kinda wished I'd have been able to try a variety of brands and flavors and styles to get me going in the right direction faster. That said, the only things near me with "premium" coffee are McDonald's (here in town), and then there's a Starbucks about 35 minutes away (that I'm not real impressed with).

I'd also like to give a shout to the Aeropress...great, smooth, coffee-making device, might give that a looksy.

I have a large Bodum french press, a cheap inexpensive burr grinder, and get good results.

I usually get 8 O'clock brand coffee, or Community Private Reserve, both in whole bean, for when I use the french press. Regular ol' Folgers in the 'dripolator' during the weekdays. Keurig is just too expensive for me right now, both for the actual machine, and coffee, to become a weekday thing.

I am by no means a CoughFee Conny Sewer, I just like it simple, but good. During the week from the drip machine, I take cream and sugar, but from the french press or Aeropress, I seldom add anything to it.

[​IMG]

17. Latherman87

This french press as I have just researched it seems awesome!! Especially since I can brew tea in it which I love! So either way I get a cheap useful little doodad!! Then id just have to experiment with what strength of the coffee I prefer in the frenchpress...itll have to be trial and error!! Thank you !!

18. Mel_B

Mel_B New Member

Another vote for the french press!!
    I LOVE mine! I like controlling how strong I make my coffee easily, as well as brewing tea in.
    Recommend!

BassTone likes this.
  19. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

I had a Cuisinart Grind and Brew 10 cup that I used for a while, but it hasn't come out of the cupboard since I got my Burr Grinder, and make myself a fresh pour over every morning. Fratello Los Placeres is what I am drinking at the moment, and it sure is good, black of course.

I like my aeropress a lot, but I use it mainly at work, inverted, for brewing loose leaf tea, as I am trying to cut back on my $$ coffee habit :p Good coffee is good, black, bad coffee, is bad, period.

BassTone likes this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I have been a coffee drinker since age 15. I would say the taste of coffee to a non-drinker is off putting. My recommendation is don't become a regular drinker. Caffeine in coffee is VERY addictive. It is a drug ,some peoples reaction to coffee is that it makes them feel crazy. Caffeine hits my system like a drug, I feel euphoric and energized , too much and I am very anxious and unfocussed. Any long term coffee drinker will tell you that if they give it up they experience withdrawal symptoms like bad headaches that don't subside until you drink a cup. I have actually tried over the years and always end up going back. I have to wake up early enough just to get my coffee and ten minutes to drink a big cup or my morning is not proceeding well until I have a cup. In periods where I have given coffee up I am more calm and placid overall however craving and weakness bring me back.

I would say if you absolutely need a complicated addiction you'll get it with coffee if you don't be happy you can do without it.

awake2shave likes this.