Col. Conk Bay Rum Soap...Big Disappointment. IMHO

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by mbastings, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I tried many Bay Rum soaps. The two best for 'smell' were Dandy Shave's Cold Spice (which is actually Bay Rum!) and it is the best smelling Bay Rum soap, period, however, I don't like menthol soap and prefer a warm shave. So, the next best smelling soap is the one I use now, Ogallala Bay Rum shave soap. It's not 'elite' in terms of shave performance, but it's a solid 'good' rating from me and the smell is very, very nice. I actually don't pair it with Ogallala aftershave and instead pair it with Gaebel's Bay Rum aftershave. Ogallala aftershave actually smelled too strong and BURNED the hell out of my face. Funny how the shave soap smelled really, really great but the aftershave was simply too much. I was able to pair the Ogallala shave soap with any Bay Rum aftershave I tested it with. My next favorite aftershaves were Stephens Bay Rum and then Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Ogallala was the choice after buying recommended soaps from PAA and Caties Bubbles, which, unfortunately didn't smell good. Something about the soap ingredients and the scent they picked just seemed, not enjoyable for me. Ogallala was great. And although I passed on it, Dandy Shave's Cold Spice was the best smell. If you enjoy menthol shaving and tallow soap, then I HIGHLY recommend you buy Dandy Shave's Cold Spice.

I passed on many due to tallow/animal ingredients that give me skin reactions. I ended up with Dandy Shave's soap quite by accident and was very impressed, but ultimately didn't want the tallow/menthol thing.

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Gonna be using the Colonel this morning(see 30DC). Looking forward to it!

3. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I love the Col. Conk bay rum. The soap smells nice to me and does a decent job for the shave. Definitely not the best shave soap, but I enjoy it for the scent. I love the after shave splash, although I always hear it is not a true bay rum scent. The only other bay rum I have tried is the Masters Bay Rum. I bought it at Sally's Beauty Supply to try it and immediately gave it to my dad. If the Masters Bay Rum is what real bay rum smells like, I'll stick to the Colonel's bay rum. I also enjoy Col. Conks lime soap and after shave. By the way, I read somewhere that Col. Conk's soaps are made for them by Van der Hagen.
    BayRumAfterShave.jpg

4. RetLEO-07

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum.
    'Nuff said.

5. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I still need to get some and try it. It seems to be very highly recommended, by a lot of wet shavers.

6. RetLEO-07

Don't let the "burn" propaganda worry you. Proper technique and there will be no burn.

ninjack likes this.
  7. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Truth I just used it yesterday it's awesome and really doesn't burn any more than any other alcohol based AS

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

ninjack and RetLEO-07 like this.
  8. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

My limited experience is that no product really burns as bad as the first use.

ninjack likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

Going to be using the Colonel's Bay Rum soap tomorrow. While it does not compare to Route 66 "Rum Runner", I still like it. Taconic Bay Rum Cream(strikes me as a croap) is good also. My last shave with it, I treated it as a soap.

ninjack likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

Very nice 2.5 pass shave with the Colonel this morning. Splashed on some VIBR and Sunday was on.

LevelupShaves and ninjack like this.