Cold shave....

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by aqualung, May 4, 2016.

1. aqualung

aqualung Active Member

So I keep hearing great things about cold shaving. What is the procedure. Do you take a hot shower and wash your face with warm water them apply the shaving soap with cold water or do you rinse your face after the shower in cold water to cool it off then start applying the cream.

navy mac and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Everything is done with cold water. Prep, during and after...everything. :)

navy mac, Bama Samurai, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Turn on the cold water and go to town. I shower at night and shave in the morning. I do use hot water for my shower, but that does not impact my shave. I wash my face with cold water, wet my brush with cold water, face lather with cold water, and rinse with cold water. It is just that simple. Try it. Some even have gone so far as to add ice to the mix. I haven't done that yet, but I may soon.

4. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I shower with warm water (never really hot). Sometimes I'll take a cool shower in the summers. I shower first, then use cold water for everything, as these guys have mentioned. It feels great! It takes some transition time but you'll love it.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Experiment. Try different ways. Find out what you like.

AGHisBBS and PLAla like this.
  7. aqualung

aqualung Active Member

I figure I will try that. Used to shave hot with the cartridge and get irritation all the time due to having sensitive skin. May give this a whirl to find out. Adding ice though to the water seems a little extreme though. Any problems making a lather with cold water?

AGHisBBS, navy mac, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  8. Robyflexx

None, I ice shave everyday now. :)

AGHisBBS and navy mac like this.
  9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

AGHisBBS, navy mac and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I take a hot shower and then take my cold water and warm it up a little bit , say to about 160° and then use that to build my layer and shave with :-P

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, navy mac and ob1page like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I may try cold water again, once I get this "riding the cap" thing down. My big issue was that it caused the whiskers to stiffen and the blade to tug. But maybe with the steeper cutting angle of riding the cap that won't be an issue

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

RyX, AGHisBBS, navy mac and 2 others like this.
  12. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Yes Roby ice ice ice, the ice man cometh :Animatedfrozensmily::bounce017:

13. Robyflexx

:)

AGHisBBS and navy mac like this.
  14. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Hey Andrew I wouldn't want to ice cold shave in the winter in Colorado anyway, probably in the summer, last time I went thru there in the summer years ago hot hot

15. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

I also take hot showers then fill my sink with cold tap water. I lather with cold water and rinse with cold water. Only use warm/ hot water to rinse razors and brushes.

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's your water, heat it your way!

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is the methodology I use also. Fully endorsed, @Jayaruh straightened out my shaves permanently when he got me to switch.

Some people really benefit from the cold in terms of irritation. Only one way to find out!

18. navy mac

navy mac Well-Known Member

You may even like running an ice cube over your face right as your about to lather. Very soothing and just a great way to wet the face.

19. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

My cold water shave uses all hot water.

RyX, AGHisBBS, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  20. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I've shaved with cold water, and hot water...I really can't tell the difference.

AGHisBBS likes this.