Cold shaving...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Rapidray, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Well after reading some of the threads on cold water shaveing, I decided to give it a try. Now, I shave at night as it makes me sleep much better. My first thought was "they must be crazy" as the water hit my face! It was cold. Even the hairs were standing up! Lathering up with cold water was not a problem. After the shave was over I was one happy camper. There was zero redness. My skin was not burning as it usually does. Shaveing is fun...now. Can not wait to my next shave! I can get use to this really quick.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'll give you a pass since you are from the south and it might be warm there, but it was 10F this morning. Not a snowball's chance that I am splashing cold water on my face... I use cold water during the summer. It is just a comfort thing for me. I don't notice any improvement in my shave from the temperature of the water. That said, if you get better shaves from using the cold water, have at it and enjoy.

3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've had mixed results. We're in AZ, so it doesn't get too cold here, but I also don't like running the heater. Hard to justify running the heater in 40 degree weather when folks like PanChango are dealing with 10. So my bathroom is pretty cold in the morning. I settled for tepid water. I set the faucet just a little to the cold side of center.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Cold-water shaving is very refreshing per some of the reasons outlined Here.—unless, of course, you're from Frigid Regions (see Dale's post above).

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I like a cold water shave with Proraso Green followed with Osage Rub in the summer time. It's a great way to cool down in the evening.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Don't like cold water shaves, but that's me.

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

icemanwbs and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  7. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

That is a very interesting site. I was thinking it was going to be about shaving and it wasn't, surprise! I am passing this site to some friends. Thanks for sharing.

8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I've been cold water shaving for years. Made a big difference in my shaves. In the hot Summer south months, I'll add ice cubes to the shave water. Some days I can't get the water cold enough.

Rapidray likes this.
  9. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

For you cold water shavers: Do you prep with cold water too, or do a "normal" hot water prep?

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I almost always shave post-shower—and I do not take cold showers! So my pre-shave prep (wash thoroughly & hold warm wash cloth on face for a minute or so) is using warm water.
    Post-shower, all cold (rinse between shave passes & final rinse). Invigorating!

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Cold water prep.
    ZCOLDWATER.jpg
    Makes them easier to mow down.

Rapidray and CyanideMetal like this.
  12. CyanideMetal

Cold water from the start to end.

Rapidray likes this.
  13. CyanideMetal

You might be surprised at how many people would refute that cold water makes whiskers stand up....Or maybe you wouldn't.

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I still say you all have a screw loose...

Unless it is perpetual summer there, then by all means carry on.

BigMark, Rapidray and Troy M like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'm with Dale. I use coolish water during the summer for face water and rinsing, but warm to hot in the winter. I have a hard time getting soaps to lather with cooler water

Tattoobob and PanChango like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I guess I'm blessed in that I tend to shave indoors where the bathroom temp hovers around between 64-67°F most days of the year—not matter how hot or cold it is outside. ;):D:D

CyanideMetal and Rapidray like this.
  17. swarden43

I use the same argument with folks who will only use products with menthol in the summer.

Still don't like cold water shaving, no matter how hot it is.

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's OK, Steve. As someone once said, "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."
    You are welcome to stay.

Rapidray, PanChango and swarden43 like this.
  19. swarden43

Thanks! :bounce015:

20. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Go for it.