Cold shaving...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Rapidray, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I thought you might like that. :happy088:

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm not taking a cold shower either. :)

If I had a heat pump here, that would be fine. I use a wood stove to keep this place toasty. It is nice and warm at night, but some mornings are pretty tough. The tile floor doesn't help much either. What it comes to is that I am just a wuss and like warm water for shaving unless it is mid summer and hot.

Hodge likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I draw the line on the cold shower.:Animatedfrozensmily:

Rapidray and PanChango like this.
  4. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Do you live out in the country?
    So do I. :)

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's a lot less rural than when my dad built the house in the late 60's. As a kid, I used to be able to walk about 100 yards out my front door to go pheasant hunting. Now all the farm land and woods are houses. The house is wired with base board electric, but running that is beyond crazy expensive. The wood stove works, but mornings are cold.

Rapidray likes this.
  6. Rapidray

Pheasant hunting...my dad used to do that. He loved it. He put in his 20 in the Air Force, so we traveled a lot. When I meet people who have lived in one spot for so long, it kinda stuns me as about every 3 years we would be at a different base in a different state and overseas twice.

Jayaruh and PanChango like this.
  7. grump

grump Well-Known Member

I am glad it works for you. I have used cool tap water in summer but not winter. for me the shaves are closer with hot and warm water. I always use warm water for lathering.

Rapidray and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

If I do a cold water shave, then everything at the sink is done with cold water. It's great for a hot summer night, so it doesn't feel as bad as it sounds :)

Rapidray and CyanideMetal like this.
  9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I was going to make the same point! It gets fairly cold where I live but I don't stand out on the deck and shave so the outside temperature is totally irrelevant to me. I started CWS in 2009 and never looked back.

10. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Cold water shaving is marginally better for me but I rarely get irritation anyway. When I'm at the farmhouse the water coming out of the well is almost at the freezing point so I use warm especially in Winter.

11. Micah Jenkins

Micah Jenkins Active Member

After reading this the other day I decided to give it a go. I have cold shaved the last couple days, just before going to bed. The results have been wonderful. Much less irritation than usual, and I did not have any issues lathering the soap at all. To anyone who has never tried it I'd recommend giving it a go. I will certainly continue cold shaving for the foreseeable future.

12. Sal

Sal Member

I've read a few things about using cold water. I am gonna have to give it a try.

Rapidray likes this.
  13. Micah Jenkins

It's an adjustment for sure, but it's one that worked well for me. Hopefully it works out for you as well.

Rapidray likes this.
  14. Rapidray

Once I started it and saw - n - felt the difference from hot, I am not going back to hot. It doesn't take long for you to adapt to cold water. I also find myself taken cooler showers, and it isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would. I do work outside - HVAC Tec - and I know it is cold, but this year it's not bothering me. I am thinking my whole body is adapting because of cold water shaving. Has anybody else noticed that????

CyanideMetal likes this.
  15. Micah Jenkins

Honestly, I've always taken cooler showers than most. I didn't really think of a connection between the two.

16. Peter M

Peter M Member

I love CWS even doe I live in the northern Sweden, not far from the arctic circle. And I have the same feeling, that my body is adapting to the cold because of the CWS. Since i started CWS i have decreased the shower temperature and seldom feel cold when being outside.

Rapidray likes this.
  17. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

One benefit is that hot water removes sharp edges faster than cold water. I use room temp water for that reason. I tend to feel cold anyway so I prefer my shower to be warm.

18. marvs

marvs New Member

Hot shower, room-temp water for the shave, cold water rinse works best for me. I live in southern California and don't have to worry much about cold weather.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I live in south Louisiana, but always shower with hot water as I keep the indoor temp constant(to the cool side) winter or summer. I've shaved using every water temp hot, lukewarm, cold and my results(irritation and closeness wise) are pretty much the same with either water temp. I prefer warm to hot water to shave with, my first rinse is with hot/warm water, then final rinse is with cold. This water temp combo give me my most pleasant shaving experience. :happy088:

Omelmad likes this.
  20. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

well, having shaved out of a "steel pot" in my army years, I have no desire to re-live this ancient form of torture ! Lol, but that's just me. I do however apply a cold face cloth prior to my AS splash of choice. As is the norm, its YOUR shave, enjoy how YOU choose !

178-bplatoon likes this.