Cold Water Shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Smedley, Feb 11, 2007.

1. gms541

gms541 Member

I only finish with a cold water touch up. The skin shrinks a bit leaving any missed spots standing. I do a 3 pass w/cold touch up when needed and get a BBS shave every day.

Bill_F, Billyfergie and Fred Hill like this.
  2. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

"You-Da-Man, Man!"

Billyfergie and rmcintyre84 like this.
  3. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Think Ill stay with my hot shave and cold rinse, love that hot face soak and towel.

Bill_F likes this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Yeah, I usually have a Cold Water Rinse before my last pass and I also find it stands up the Whiskers Like we soldiers to be mown down....:chores016:

Billy

Attached Files:

Bill_F likes this.
  5. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

I'll have to give that a try. I know the Aqua Velva stands them up to show me I didn't get as close a shave as I thought, maybe this will help put that upstart After Shave in it's place! :duel:

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I tend to use warm water to make the lather, and cold water for the rest of the shave. Someone said the cold water is better for the blades (because they expand and contract) but I don't know how true this is.

Billyfergie and Bill_F like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Well that's an interesting one....I always use almost boiling hot water to rinse my razor & blade even when I have a cold water shave...A balance of Yin & Yang.....The cold water is Yin whilst the Boiling water is the Dot of Yang..... If you look at the Yin & Yang diagram there is a Dot or a hole in either side of each symbol....For me the hot blade is the Dot of Yang within the Cold Yin water.....Yin & Yang expand and contract....:chores016:

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    For a long time I would shave with hot water and rinse with cold. At our new home, the water heater was at the other end of the house from my bathroom, and I didn't like running water just to get it hot, so I decided to try shaving with just cold water. I liked it, and have not gone back. I still use hot in the shower.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Bill_F, 178-bplatoon and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

I used a cold water rinse just before my touch up in my last two shaves. It did seem to wake the whiskers up a bit and I think that helped give me a closer touch up and better final result. Going to stay with this program. :D

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Billyfergie

Aye, it seems to go against better judgment, but if it works it works...I think it tightens the skin somewhat for that final clean up...:chores016:
    Billy

Bill_F likes this.
  11. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

I agree. Of course, it doesn't tighten things up as much as my Aqua Velva. One time I did another pass after the A/S brought things to life. Used more A/S after my final rinse. Got one of the closest shaves I'd ever had that day. Not sure I want to use that much A/S every day, though. Thinking of trying Witch Hazel after the cold water rinse and touch up to see if any whiskers pop up. If they do and my face isn't stinging, I may do another targeted touch up. I'm going to play it by ear and see how it goes. :think002:

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I'm a converted cold water shaver. On a practical matter, it saves time. Initially I thought the idea was nuts, but it sure works for me.

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. Billyfergie

Its only a blink of an eye when the idea of the earth being round was nuts Sir...Conventional wisdom can be a lot of crap sometimes...:eatdrink013:
    Billy...:chores016:

14. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Going back to the cold water shave. I'm still a newbie......was getting the red bumps on every shave until someone here pointed me to the cold water shave. For some unknown reason i shaved with hot water today....my face is not too happy about it!:signs131:

CyanideMetal and Billyfergie like this.
  15. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

That'll learn ya!

Joef, twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Cold-water shaves until the cold of winter is upon us here in northern California/Bay area—where 'cold of winter' is entirely subjective compared to the other locals in the USA and Canada.
    Then it'll be time to break out the Scuttles for some steamy lather goodness...

17. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Winters in Maine we have to melt the ice to get a cold water shave. :smiley freezing:

Joef, HolyRollah and Billyfergie like this.