Comb Removal

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rev579, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Has anyone successfully removed a fixed comb without damaging the handle of a NEW Bostonian? New Improved Bostonian?

2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

you probably can but the parts need to be heated up. Not sure if razor replaters remove it before prepping them for replating

3. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Well that's a bummer. I was hoping the ferrule and comb were one piece, leaving the tube as an easily removable/repairable piece.

4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I am confused, what are you doing, exactly?

[​IMG]

5. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I guess that might be confusing. A New Improved Bostonian. I walked away from one this weekend that was missing a tooth and had some bent teeth on the comb, but the end and tube looked to be in good condition. I didn’t think it was salvageable, but thought I’d ask.
    I like projects. It’s cost me a couple of interesting brushes, but it also helped me discover what does and doesn’t work so I can do a better restoration later.
    Razors seem to be a bit different. You can’t just bend a tooth back(I tried and lost a tooth). I’ve sense found out you have to heat it up and you might be able to realign it. This is something that is a bit above my pay-grade. So in lieu of doing real work on a comb, finding a damaged Bostonian might not be terrible but insurance for later.

6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I understand, I don’t think I’ve seen someone separate the base plate from the handle. If I’m not mistaken it’s pressure fitted, but I imagine it can be done, but just don’t know how.

7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've seen some pop up every so often on Ebay in which they are already separated. I'd just keep checking at times for another one to show up.

8. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Roger that.

9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I had one that was cracked, so the handle spun. I had it welded, but the guy doing the welding turned the handle before hitting it with the welder, so it works, it's just a bit cockeyed.

You _can_ get the tube and plate welded. They used gold wire, but I'm certain there are brass welders as well. You'll just have to go to a jeweler, rather than a normal welding shop :)

10. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Could it just be a very, very tight fit?

11. Bookworm

When I was looking closely, it's a spread fit. They inserted one part into the other, then spread the handle into the head with great force. I'd have to dig mine out to be more specific, because I haven't used it in months. Think of it as being like a brass rivet.

12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

That would actually make sense and explain some of the Handle splitting.

13. Bookworm

The handle itself is also attached with a friction fit, and Gillette wasn't good at tolerances. About a year ago, I posted some detailed information about OLD handles in the Safety Razor sub-forum. You should be able to search it up pretty easily. The NEW and many other razors suffered from the same problem, but with thicker brass, excessive force was easier to handle.

14. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I had to sent a few handles to a guy that goes by CAP for repair. He did an outstanding job based on the pictures, and I can’t wait to get them back into my hands.
    It turns out the ferrules were too big for the barrel and the barrels were too thin.
    All of my Good Will’s have cracks, even the ones that were never used.

15. Bookworm

Here's the thread
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/broken-razor-handles-and-repair.55306/

My conclusion was that Gillette didn't understand hoop stress, and they had nobody doing quality control for 30 years. The diameter of various ferrules and ball ends was all over the place, as was the inside diameter of the barrels. That's why some of them blow at one end, but not the other, and a few never blow out at all.

16. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I Agree. I bought this one knowing full well the barrel was beyond repair, but the rest was perfect. The Ball. The Ferrule. The Cap. The Comb. Maybe one day I’ll run across an appropriate barrel or let it find a new home.

[​IMG]

17. Bookworm

Well, I do have some carbon fiber handles :)

18. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

That might work further down the road. I went through a very intensive 2.5 month RAD episode. I was determined to try anything and everything The was a Vintage Gillette Razor. I started with a 195 that was sent to me much to my surprise and worked my way down the timeline, finishing with the 102 & 102a. So, I have a time to let go of before I do much more of anything else.
    But based on what I reading here, I am greatful that I passed on a bunch that had more than just a blemish here and there.

Bookworm likes this.