Comic Readers Unite!

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Greg F., Oct 21, 2014.

1. Greg F.

Greg F. Well-Known Member

My love for comics was re-ignited last year and would love to start a comic discussion (if there isn't one already). I'd like to know what people prefer and what they're reading now.

I'm currently collecting Walking Dead by the volume and mainly Batman trade paperbacks with a little Preacher, Captain America, and Swamp Thing thrown in.

PatrickA51 and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My brother & I have boxes upon boxes of vintage Marvel Comics from 1963-1974; most in very good condition; some I'm told are quite rare and collectible.
    Including this dandy from 1968...
    [​IMG]

I honestly haven't read one since they were 12¢ a regular issue, 25¢ for the special ones... ;)

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Ever since they stopped advertising Sea Monkeys I no longer read comics.

I read them all voraciously into my early teens.

PatrickA51, ObiDon, Shotwell and 3 others like this.
  4. Greg F.

You might want to pick out a few of those gems, including the Silver Surfer origin and have them graded by the CDC. Although it's a dying market because of digital comics, there will always be collectors out there who want the original.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I find 95% of all comics these days to be rather terrible when compared to gold/silver era comics.
    Image Comics is rare exception though as they are coming out with some great stuff. Basically if Kirkman has touched it - I like it :)

RazorZombie and Greg F. like this.
  6. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I dunno if I'm really a "comic book" fan but I do like graphic novels like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Sin City, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Allan Moore/Frank Miller Batman, etc. I guess technically some are just a collection of comics but I prefer the book format. Always looking for more suggestions for more adult themed ones in the sort of noir, dystopian, dark type of style. The last one I read was Daytripper which was a little different but enjoyable.

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I read Batman, Hellboy and BPRD. Really, anything by Mike Mignola. I'll also check out the local comics like Stumptown and other work.

Greg F. likes this.
  8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I sent my money in for Sea Monkeys but I never got them. USPS strikes again.

9. Greg F.

You might wanna check out Preacher. Definitely more adult themed. Hope you don't mind a little blasphemy and violence...

10. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Heres some good ones

[​IMG]

I always loved Spawn as a kid. Much cooler than those goody two shows superheroes :D.

[​IMG]

Gantz- Japanese anime/manga about people that die and are forced to fight aliens.

Greg F. likes this.
  11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Sounds like Scientology.

PLANofMAN and Greg F. like this.
  12. FanofAceVentura

FanofAceVentura Well-Known Member

I have Wolverine weapon X and mabe one day Watchmen I love comic movies and sometimes comics because the book or this case graphic novel is better than the movie

Greg F. likes this.
  13. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I collected a lot in the late '80's through the mid '90's. I liked Superman best, but bought some Batman too... but when I discovered the art of Dave Stevens, I fell in love with his drawing style. He's best known for The Rocketeer! (My all time favorite series of books) I think I have all of Dave Steven's Rocketeer books and Trade Paperbacks. As a plus... Dave Stevens introduced me to the pin-up superstar Bettie Page... who he based the Betty in the Rocketeer series of comics on. Check out the quality of his work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Greg F. likes this.
  14. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I stopped reading comics around 1978, then started again maybe a decade ago. I spend part of my day off at Barnes and Noble reading graphic novels. I especially like Punisher and Batman. I'm currently into "Injustice: God's Among Us."

Greg F. and Shotwell like this.
  15. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I just finished the most recent issue of Year Two. My only complaint with the Injustice series is that the issues seem too short!

Greg F. likes this.
  16. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I love comics... Have since I was a kid. My dad used to take me to an old-fashioned barber shop near our house -- which still exists, in fact! -- and while he was getting his hair cut and chatting, Charlie the barber would let me go through his stacks of vintage comics, and trade him for some of mine. I think the old comics are still at my mom's house. Had quite a few of the old Legion of Super-Heroes comics, and plenty of Batman and Superman. I love the vintage stories and art... A lot better than most of what is out there today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413992244.833673.jpg

My 10-year-old daughter has gotten into them, as a result of my own interest. She found a cache of them last year at my family's condo in Florida while we were on vacation, and read them the whole week we were there. And we visited an amazing comic book shop in Fort Lauderdale. We could have spent days browsing there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413992275.082315.jpg

I'm currently re-reading The Walking Dead, working to catch up to the current issue. I read a lot of mine on Comixology now instead of the real paper editions. Or I use Comic Flow to read old issues found via BitTorrent. Finished Green Arrow: Year One not long ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413992285.415158.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Greg F. likes this.
  17. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Rom spacenight. Why hasn't that been a movie yet?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414018990.106095.jpg

Greg F. likes this.
  18. Greg F.

image.jpg
    I fell in love with Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns so much, I got my favorite cover ever tattooed.

Shotwell likes this.
  19. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

I, too, am a Miller fan
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414024341.282068.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414024386.801042.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414024480.992502.jpg

And Bisley
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414024516.628528.jpg

And Bode! I love Cobolt 60!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414024573.266929.jpg

A lot of the comics I had as a kid and the ones my Grandfather had for me got ruined by chocolate milk by my sister when she was two lol. I had to get this as the tenth anniversary reprint
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414024691.690807.jpg

Greg F. likes this.
  20. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Anybody hear of these guys?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414024937.380715.jpg

I've been out of comics for a long time. I like all the artwork and stories. Guess I should look into it again instead of everything digitized all the time...

Greg F. likes this.