Comparable Blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JayKay, Mar 21, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I am a big fan of the wilkinson sword classic white label blades. They are decently expensive, going for about 40$ for 100. I was at the dollar store today and saw Wilkinson blades packaged in a yellow cardboard 5pack for .99$ They say they are made by Gillette in the UK I believe. Has anybody had any luck with these blades? Has anybody ever compared these to the wilkinson swords? I didnt know/think Gillette owned them.

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Now that's certainly interesting. Don't know anything about it, though...

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Did they look anything like these?
    [vbpg]1362[/vbpg]

4. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I get the Wilkinson White Classics, (German made) for $1.49 pk of 5 locally. Nice blades.

5. JayKay

Nope. They're in a cardboard 5 pack. They ARENT WIlkinson-Sword. All they say is Wilkinson, with some indian or arabic writing above it. The store is "the indian store", or National Wholesale Liquidators. That being said, I'm slightly scared of putting them anywhere near my face. I cant find any blades locally. booo

6. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

try

Try rite aid if they are by you. I have seen Gillette blades there and I have good luck finding Wilkinsons at my local Hispanic stores for 1.49

7. JayKay

Hm. I do have a riteaid down the block from me at the moment but believe it or not, I've never actually tried gillette blades. The closest hispanic stores are in the ghetto near me and I'll pass. I tried a few random local drug stores with an old world feel and wasnt impressed. Thank you everybody.

8. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Be weary of the russian gillette blades. They are easily the worst de blade i've used.

9. JayKay

I'm weary of everything I put on my face, hence why I dont own any of these blades. I'll stick with my reputable sample pack

10. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

good to know

I never picked the gillette's up yet thanks :o

11. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I think I bought some like that at a flea market. I didn't like the wilkies, I have not tried a wilkinson that I did like and I haven't liked any gillette blade I have put on my face. But I like dorco blades???? go figure? I am also a fan of Derbys, IPs and feathers. But Dorcos don't go too bad.

12. Ordinarily, the Gillette blades you buy locally in US Pharmacies are to be avoided. The one Gillette blade that gets raves comes in a five pack on Blue cardboard. The German made Wilks tend to be nothing special but OK in a pinch.

13. The Wilkinson Sword brand name in the US & India is owned by Gillette. Which is why most Wilkinson products are sold as Schick. Any Wilkinson products sold as Wilkinson Sword in the US would be under lincense from Gillette. Gillette use to make Wilkinson Sword brand blades in their Indian factory but I don't know if they still do.

Paul

14. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

We get Brazilian made Wilkinsons here in Oz.Good blades but quite expensive.

15. JayKay

Interesting. I guess the blades I found could be NOS Indian Gillette Wilkinsons

16. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

JayKay, Do they come in a pack that looks something like this? If so you ought to give them a try, I recommend them. These are made in India under license of Gillette.

[​IMG]

17. JayKay

Unfortunately not. I should have just grabbed a pack, they were 99 cents. They only said Wilkinson on them I believe, not Wilkinson-Sword. They had indian writing or maybe arabic over Wilkinson and the package is yellow. I'll take a picture eventually. I probably wont be home for a while unfortunately. Maybe I can convice my gf to pick some up next time she visits.