Comparing two Gillette razors made in different countries

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Red Rider, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Noticed something interesting upon recent receipt of a U.S. made SS rocket 1950 and how familiar it was to my English made (Canadian issue) W2 1951. Both also weight 54g.
    Previously I wrote about how similar the shave between the W2 and Red Rocket are.
    English made on left. U.S. made on right
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Below razors with blades to show similarities.

image.jpeg
    I can not say one mechanism moves better than the other. They both function and fell equal.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello Red Rider, this is a great topic. I don't know much about the English made Gillette's, so I'm intrigued. I noticed something about your Rockets that is different on my rockets. On yours there is a indentation above the TTO knob that encircles the razor handle. My rockets do not have that, but my NDC Super Speed does. I have one Canadian Rocket made in England, and one English Rocket made in England. Both of the English made Rockets seem the same to me. Here is a few photos to show you what I have-

Canadian Rocket (English made)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454216736.491128.jpg

English Rocket (English made)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454216784.240132.jpg

USA Super Speed (USA made)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454216840.058897.jpg

Notice the USA Super Speed has a small ring indented in the handle just above the TTO knob? The English made Rockets don't have that indentation. I am fascinated as to why your English made Rocket has the indentation. You have a very unique razor there sir! Congratulations.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Very interesting

AGHisBBS and Morman Bridge like this.
  4. Morman Bridge

What are your thoughts Darkbulb?

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have very few at the moment as I'm writing this on my phone at a bar having a scotch waiting for my date to get her butt over here :)

AGHisBBS, twhite, Bird Lives and 3 others like this.
  6. Morman Bridge

HaHa! Understood.

AGHisBBS and Darkbulb like this.
  7. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Darkbulb and remember behave yourself and you're not a Wolf.

AGHisBBS and Darkbulb like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ya'll got me curious about the two U.S. Super Speeds I own. There's quite a bit of info here;
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/asylumguidos-guide-to-super-speed-identification.8461/
    Through this guide I was able to identify one of mine as a '47 model. The first photo shows a '54 (Z-3) on the left, and a '47 on the right. The arrow shows a difference at the top of the knurling, with the '47 having a wider flat band.
    Z3 VS 47.gif
    The next photo shows the side of the "wings" on the '47. The '48-'50 ( and beyond) do not have these "wings". Both razors are missing at least one chrome cap that should cover the ends. This doesn't affect function.
    Z3 VS. 47 2.gif
    This final comparison illustrates the lack of "wings" on the left, with the "wings" present on the right on the '47. I also see a difference in how the handle joins the base plate. The left, '54, appears less well finished. The '47 on the right, seems more flush to the base plate with a wider ring showing.
    Z3 Vs. 47 3.gif
    Don't know if this assist your comparisons, but I'm more informed!

9. Red Rider

Glad to have piqued your interest. How do the rockets shown here shave from each other ? I find the shave on the one's I've shown (1950/51) are on the more aggressive side. Similar to a Red Tip. (Dates in Production:1955-1960)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

At the risk of a slight derailing.....I want to know about the Scotch and the Chick......}8^))
    Forget what he said.....you are a wolf....you are a wolf......:happy097:
    Sorry......back to our previously scheduled shaving program........:eatdrink047:

AGHisBBS, RyX, Darkbulb and 1 other person like this.
  11. Morman Bridge

Hello, well, I have found the two English made Rockets are slightly more efficient than the early USA made Super Speed. I don't know why. However I like all three equally well. I was surprised to read earlier this morning that Canada did not produce any TTO Gillette's. Most of the TTO Gillette's were made in England that were for the Canadian market. Also some few USA made TTO razors found their way to the Canadian market. I find this fascinating.

AGHisBBS and Red Rider like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

For some reason if I had my choice I'd choose the British made Gillette's over the USA made. Solely based on the couple of British made razors that I have. Better shave, smoother TTO mechanism, better feel (build).

AGHisBBS, Red Rider and Morman Bridge like this.
  13. poikkeus

poikkeus Member

You know, I asked a similar question on another site. What's the difference between otherwise identical razors from the USA and England?

I don't know if there's a difference in the shave...but TTO mechanism on the English razor is smoother and more precise. It's like using a micrometer caliper.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  14. phillpsych

phillpsych Active Member

In my current rotation, I use a US made 50's Red Tip... which weighs in at about 67 grams... and a Rocket HD... 71 grams. For some reason the Red Tip feels heavier, maybe because the head to handle weight ratio is different. They offer similar shaves. I love the idea of the super well made awesome attention to detail gosh the Brits made their razors so well Rocket HD... but I like shaving with the Red Tip more. I can't explain why other than I just do. Very scientific and informed response, I know.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

That is great news as I've been eyeing RedTips. And a good question. Now I'll have to do a back to back, or maybe side by side controlled variable evaluation. From @AsylumGuido 's thread," According to several users this razor is milder in nature than the later notched versions." I may already be biased by this information. Fortunately I'm left handed. This in conjunction with being a straight razor shaver has me shaving ambidextrously. Give me a couple days & I'll report back.
    Still awaiting further reports from @Darkbulb ...:cool:

AGHisBBS and Red Rider like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love this thread. I can't wait to get my hands on an English Rocket.

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, a gentleman doesn't kiss and tell...so, in my case I guess I could tell the whole story. But I won't. :)
    Let's just say it was a good evening. Good scotch, food and woman.

RyX and Bird Lives like this.
  18. Red Rider

Soon, to the moon !!

[​IMG]

Unless you were referring to an Aristocrat Jr. :rah:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  19. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

Great and really informative thread guys. :)

I've owned most versions of the Rocket (there are some benefits to living in the UK), and I've found the shave to be quite different to the comparable Super-Speed in most cases (apart from a standard Flare-Tip Rocket which shaves exactly the same as its US and British Super-Speed counterparts).

There are a number of differences in terms of quality of shave from models of the same type (a TV Rocket gives a much better shave than a standard Flare-Tip for example) and both a British Red-Tip Rocket and a British Red-Tip Super-Speed give a slightly more aggressive and a much smoother shave than the comparable US Red-Tip Super-Speed.

Unfortunately, I've yet to come across Blue-Tip Rocket (they are extremely rare and difficult razors to find), and can't comment on how that shaves in comparison to US and British Blue-Tip Super-Speeds.

I've got a Monobloc on the way from France and it will be interesting to see how this compares to a regular HD Rocket as, on paper, they seem to share very similar characteristics.

Red Rider likes this.
  20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

You Da Man....:happy069: