Compensating for the more-rounded cap of a Fat Boy

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by rmcintyre84, Jul 31, 2015.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

To compensate for the more-rounded head on a Fat Boy, do I need to hold the handle closer to my face, or further away? Thanks. (And thanks for not making fun of me for being bad with spatial relations and three-dimensional thinking.)

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You shouldn't need to adjust anything. The part of the cap that is rounded on top (compared to later Gillette models with the flatter head profile) doesn't touch your face, except perhaps, under the nose.

The edge of the cap (the part of the cap that touches your face) is close enough to being the same profile as the "flat" cap later models to make no difference. Any changes you make to your shaving routine with a Fatboy will be dictated by the heavier weight and short handle of the razor, not the head profile.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Tdmsu and Jayaruh like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

what are you trying to accomplish?
    I'm not sure what you're trying to emulate.
    my advice would be to start with razor handle wide, then roll toward your face until the blade begins to perform.

RaZorBurn123 and Herm2502 like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011: I think...

5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Using higher settings with larger blade gaps allows you to use steeper angles but you don't have to.

6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I think you are over thinking it. Just shave and the tool will find the angle. It's almost the same as any other Gillette razor.

Omaney and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Just like Dave said, place the head against your face with the handle almost at 90 degrees. Then lower the handle making the angle shallower until the blade makes contact with your skin. That's about it.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.