Comprehensive Guide to Lathering soaps, creams, shavesticks in a bowl and on the face

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by heirkb, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

+1

As with most other things in life, practice makes perfect. (or as near as a human can get)

I spent much more than an hour practicing building lather with both soaps and creams using my first good brush. (an Omega 48)
    Each lathered in turn, first in a cereal bowl, then a soup mug, lastly in my hand.
    A few months after the arrival of the 48, I acquired an Omega badger brush. (6234)
    I went right back into the "test lab" to lather my soaps and creams in the cereal bowl, soup mug, and in my hand.
    Now it's standard operating practice.
    When I get a new brush, it goes through the workout. I also keep a notebook describing the tests and the results.
    The benefits of this are numerous.
    I learn the quirks of each brush, each gets broken in a bit, and the new brush/wet animal "odour" is reduced or eliminated.
    This may seem a tad overboard for some chaps, but I enjoy it.

I guess that's why my supervisor says, "dude, you were cut on a lathe put together using only left hand thread". :signs047:

I've always taken that as a compliment...

:bounce017:Happy shaving everybody!!!

JCD and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. JCD

JCD Member

Thanks - sadly being a Yorkshire Lass - I'm very very frugal & hate 'wasting' anything so would find this difficult.... perhaps that's why I seem to have 3 different vintage DE's in among my stuff ;) and try to make things go as far as possible :)

Apart from that I've found that the Shave soap I'm using is very concentrated and seems to need more water than vid's I've watched seemed to suggest. Adding a drop of other shave creme (from sampler with new brush) has helped me get the knack so I can use either alone;
    We're also using shave oil which again is making the shave much better, his skin is getting in better condition & he's enjoying the whole experience
    I think the brush is also getting 'broken in' is improving things - so he's now more inspired to learn & enjoy shaving himself :)

Have got DH choice of razor at Trumpers in London at the weekend, but didn't get back to TOBS as had problem with my bank card :( but know which 'flavours' I want to order - that's DH xmas pressie sorted

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Take the info from the videos as a "suggestion." There are many variables that go into whipping up a lather:
    - your soap may be different
    - your brush may be a different material
    - your brush may be a different size
    - your water may be harder or softer
    - your definition of a "dry" brush may be different from the person on video
    - your definition of a "few" swirls may be different

You just have to try different amounts of water, amount of time spent on the soap, etc. Eventually you'll find what works for you. Hang in there! You'll get it.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The hardness of the water seems to make the biggest difference. That also seems to apply to Single Malt Scotch Whiskeys too.

Rob626, Hodge and JCD like this.
  5. JCD

JCD Member

Yes that was a great tip too thanks - I now only used boiled water from the kettle to make lather, lots better.

Dirigo Blue - I'm getting there, thank to all you guys for your help :eatdrink047:

Hodge likes this.
  6. Medicus Ille

Medicus Ille New Member

I had no clue such a thing as shave cream in a tube existed (I thought it was all disks of shave soap). Really glad I came across this post!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Thanks for guide. I will try some of this out the next time I shave.

8. CNick

CNick Member

Great guide! Especially for a rookie. Thank you.

9. Bobyluvjr

Bobyluvjr Active Member

this is very informitive I am just getting into wet shaving and had no idea how extensive this proccess is

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Great write up thank you for putting so much effort into it and pictures too :happy088:

11. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

Very nice post -- thanks for all the info, and all in one place!!

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I have a few bowls that I like to use. If not using the easily press in Cella crope in a bowl and use a puck like VDH, I'll melt it in my bowl via microwave and let harden in the fridge, makes it easy to pick up product on my brush without the puck flopping around.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. AFWoody

AFWoody Member

Thanks for sharing.

14. Don1205

Don1205 New Member

Very good step by step description of how to work up and apply the lather from several different types of soaps.

simms623 likes this.
  15. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

This is my trip to the shakey Froth method world.
    http://ilrasoio.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16982

The summary of my experience is that this method is inconvenient.
    It does not bring advantages (initially hoped) on the yield, and is harmful especially for the most precious soaps.
    On the other hand, since I have had good results in brushless mode, it can be a valid alternative in particular and emergency situations.