Considering a Merkur 37C Slant Bar Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dark Vapor, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

Over the past few months, I think I have developed my technique with safety razors pretty well. I am thinking about purchasing a Merkur 37C slant bar razor. I know some of you have experience with slant bar razors. Have any of you used this razor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Merkur37C.jpg

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

In my own experiences, I found the 37c provided a VERY close, very smooth shave. What it requires to achieve this goal is nothing really extraordinary nor different than other 'non-slant razors.' A 'light touch' is recommended when using the 37c, and finding the 'right' blade combination has been a challenge for some folks. Others say finding the correct angle took some practice, but I didn't find that to be an issue at all. I have nothing bad to say about the Merkur slants and highly recommend it to those who want an exceptional close, comfortable shave.

You can see more of my experience with slants & further comments here in this thread:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/safety-razors-my-trip-from-mild-to-aggressive.34763/

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

It's a razor I regret selling. Worked well with so many razor blades and always was smooth and comfortable.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  4. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I like mine but it's the 39C. It's a very efficient razor! One thing I noted though is the blade that I prefer with this razor is not the same than with my regular DE89. I find it a bit more aggressive so I don't use it everyday, but it's my prime choice for a Monday with a 2-day growth.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  5. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

It's not a bad razor choice. And some people really like it. It really wasn't to my liking however so I sold mine. IMO, it is not aggressive at all, merely effective. I think that it also benefits from longer strokes rather than shorter ones. I never had issue one with the blade choice and really didn't have anything against the razor, just wasn't my favorite so I let it go.
    The only way for you to know for sure is to buy one. Not that I'm trying to enable or anything. ;)

Dark Vapor likes this.
  6. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Never used that one but it looks sweet ! If you pull the trigger be sure to post your findings

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I have a 39c and like it a lot. Used it this morning as a matter of fact. I shaved about 10 hours ago and I'm just starting to feel some stubble on my chin and jawline. My cheeks are still smooth. :) It's definitely a razor worth having but like already pointed out, it may like different blades than your current razor. I used a Merkur blade with mine today for the first time and even though they're not a favorite blade in any other razor I tried them in, they really worked great for me in the slant.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've used a vintage Slant Bar and while it wasn't a bad shaver it wasn't anything spectacular for me either...I'm very attracted to the 37C Heavy Duty, my only problem with the Merkur is the fact that it is a two piece and so the handle can't be changed. The problem with the iKon 3 piece is the cost..I'm researching whether the iKon Slant Bar base can be used with a Gillette tech cap...:)

9. feeltheburn

The Ikon slant bar definitely could not be used with a Tech cap. The top cap on a slant has a twist to it.

10. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

I really like my 37c. For me it is not for daily use. When I have two for more days beard growth it is what I reach for. It mows through without tugging or irritation. Better yet, two passes is all I ever need with it. Blade exposure is more than my 34c and Muhle R89. I do take my time and use zero pressure with it and in return achieve blood free shaves. Not rocket science just respect for it.

11. 178-bplatoon

Thanks Brian, I had not considered the twist of the base plate and cap on the iKon..I think I read that the Merkur cap doesn't have the twist(could be wrong), not that that fact helps me out any...Guess I'll either have to save more money to get an iKon baseplate and cap, just get a Merkur 37C to make a pair with my 34, or just patiently wait for someone to come out with a 3 piece Slant...:happy088: Or do all three..:happy097:

12. feeltheburn

The Merkur cap definitely has a twist. If your current razor's working well for you, I'd say there's no big rush to get a slant. It's not magic or anything. I'm not sure I even believe that it slices rather than chops the whiskers. If that were true, I'd think a slant should work well with a duller blade but that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, my slant seems to need sharper blades than most razors. For me, I think the real strength of the slant is that it holds the blade very rigidly and that twist probably contributes to the rigidity. Maybe that's what makes the slant effective for tough beards.

Tdmsu and 178-bplatoon like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've heard it said the slant is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. You can use any DE or SE and give it a "slant" feature simply by changing the angle of the razor during your pass or performing the Gillette Slide or J-Hook.

That being said, some folks like it, some folks don't. I didn't and sold mine.

KcHighLife, Tdmsu and 178-bplatoon like this.
  14. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I had one for a short while and while I didn't notice any better outcome than a regular DE, I had a devil of a time trying to get the blade loaded evenly.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I sold my 39c recently in a DE den purge, and now I'm having Slant Seller's remorse. I knew this would happen. :(
    I'm spending more time on the straight razor 'learning curve', but I do see the inevitability of snagging another sledgehammer or possible ikon slant at some point in the future….

16. 178-bplatoon

Your talking about the iKon Slant correct? I've also read it was difficult to load, but other users say no it's easy, it just depends on how you load the blade. :confused:..:happy097:

HolyRollah likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I may wait until the 'new & improved' Ikon slant Version 2 is released…or if I find one for a steal of a price (less than $50). ;)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  18. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Merkur

19. 178-bplatoon

Thats actually a "GREAT" idea "HolyRollah" all it requires is a little patience and some hunting on ebay..A person could end up with quite a good deal on an iKon Slant Bar that way..I think thats the route I'll try and take..:) Unfortunately the only thing I have less of than money is patience :happy097:

20. 178-bplatoon

This is the first I've heard about the Merkur being difficult to get the blade aligned correctly. I've always heard it was the iKon, because of the size of the alignment pins(too small)...:confused: